Taillights out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94subman

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing that. I did indeed pull those boards out yesterday and, just like he shows, mine are crusty and worn inside as well. I have no problem replacing them, it’s just how amazed I am at both boards failing at very same time !

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing that. I did indeed pull those boards out yesterday and, just like he shows, mine are crusty and worn inside as well. I have no problem replacing them, it’s just how amazed I am at both boards failing at very same time !
Mine are TYC brand. I had to look them up to remember the nrand. Like I said, I had a lot of issues with Dorman brand. So far, so good with the TYC brand, but they are all cheap Chinese junk unless you can find ACDelco, but they will be expensive.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
First time we bought these(on the other Burb) we didn't know they were available in the aftermarket so Dad went to Chevrolet. That was a bit expensive. But I think they were still in the truck, working properly, when it got wrecked. On this truck I bought the eagle eyes taillights and they come complete with boards and bulbs. For $22.50 each, can't beat that. The right one has been on it for 2 years and it's still working fine, lighting up great and very shiny, just like the day I installed it. Had to replace the left one about a year ago when a yard trailer didn't quite clear the truck in front of my cousin's house.
If I'd been on this forum 4 years ago I would have known to pull more stuff off that wrecked truck. Oh well, it is what it is....least these are still semi common.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I recall that the boards on both taillights did go out around the same time. If your taillights still work, but your brake lights and rear turn signals don't, it's probably the multi function switch. Mine did that a couple years ago, that's what fixed it. Since your truck is a 94 you don't have as much trouble getting into the steering column as us later model owners; no airbag to deal with.

94subman

Reaction score
checked the ground wire, as well the connections, all good.
Come to think of it, I recall that the boards on both taillights did go out around the same time. If your taillights still work, but your brake lights and rear turn signals don't, it's probably the multi function switch. Mine did that a couple years ago, that's what fixed it. Since your truck is a 94 you don't have as much trouble getting into the steering column as us later model owners; no airbag to deal with.

Thanks for the reply. It is only the taillights that are causing trouble. Every other light on the outside of the truck works normally. I checked the bulbs and they appear to be ok. I guess replacing the boards comes next.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Like I've told several people, just because you haven't had the problem yet, doesn't mean that you won't have it eventually. So good to know what to do when it comes. These trucks are "like a rock", but even rocks break sometimes. Good luck with your truck!