Swapping in a 4L60E with 50k miles since rebuild - new torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBC_YJ

Reaction score
First time post, recently got a couple of 95 K1500s, both with 5.7L and 4L60E. (I'm really starting to like these trucks!) Question for those with more experience: I'm taking the engine and trans out of a donor truck with a beat up body, both were rebuilt from GM about 50k miles ago. They're going into a recipient truck with a nice body but a slipping transmission, about 225k on the body and the motor.

Would you replace the torque converter while you have it out? I know it's not like a clutch that wears out, but it is relatively inexpensive to replace and takes a bunch of labor to get back in there once it's installed. Thoughts?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, probably just run it. Just flush out the transmission cooler with that Kooler Kleen stuff. That will remove the clutch material in the passages so it doesn't wind up in the replacement unit.