Suspension Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 96 k1500 with the DC 6.5 in stage 1 lift. I am looking to upgrade my shocks very soon and was wondering if it would be worth while to install a dual shock kit for the front while i'm at it. Currently I am running the standard DC single shocks up front and the basic skyjacker shocks in the rear, needless to say the ride is awful. I need some opinions on whether installing the dual shock kit would be worth the time and money, also I want some suggestions for replacement shocks for the front and rear. I am not looking for anything with a reservoir, just the basic single tube absorber. I'm looking at the Rancho RX9000XL or the Bilstein 5100 series units. Anyone with experience with either of these would be great, but other suggestions are welcome. All help is very much appreciated, thank you for your time.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMHO, get the Bilsteins and don't worry about the dual shock setup for the front.

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bilstiens for sure IMO. And maybe a steering stabilizer to help bump steert

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the Bilsteins they look better too. It's been a while since I've been active on here apparently the jeep steering shaft is a trend now. Is that worth the trouble my steering could definitely use some help at his point.

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it is. I don't have one yet but I have driven a friends truck that has this mod and it is worth every penny. It's next on my to-do list. Make sure you read up and get the right shaft though.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I have Bilsteins and will never look back. I love them! Is there a write up on this steering upgrade?

howd you miss it theres like a 20 page thread on it adam(correct or no, dont kill me if im wrong im bad with names) anyways older cherokees have shafts with u joints instead of rag joints that eliminate alot of steering wheel play. i havent gotten around to it yet but i think astro vans should also work.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
howd you miss it theres like a 20 page thread on it adam(correct or no, dont kill me if im wrong im bad with names) anyways older cherokees have shafts with u joints instead of rag joints that eliminate alot of steering wheel play. i havent gotten around to it yet but i think astro vans should also work.

You got my name right but I did miss it some how. I'll look it up. Thanks. Oh and 5150s will look bad ass too!

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with installing the jeep shaft with the DC lift. Any complications?