Suspension and steering ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So its time to work on my front end again and im tired of the old technology. In the next couple of months I should have a decent chunk of money coming my way in the form oof inheritance and a settlement check. Ive been batting around the idea of stripping off all the old steering and suspension and starting from scratch with something like a mustang II front end. I was just curious if anyone else out there has done something similar or has looked into it. Or if there is any other options out there. I would like to build this truc as a street/track build and want it to hanle like its on rails. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohh and its a 88 gmc 1500 2wd long bed.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I wish tapatalk had a edit feature. Im also wanting to it to be ifs with some serious stopping power for the inevitable 6.0 swap im planning. And the ability to lower it maybe 4/6. Ive batted around the idea of buying a nbs rollover and just trying to mate my body onto its chassis.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go fast guys have been using mustang II front ends for years, plenty of good kits out there to choose from.

If you tap your previous post and choose "more" all the way to the right you can edit a post using tapatalk. There is a time limit though, like 30 days.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
The reason most people put the MII suspension in their cars/trucks is to get the same suspension design that these trucks already have....The double wishbone suspension. You could run coilovers instead of the coil springs, if you are good at fab work you might be able to fab up a rack and pinion steering instead of the steering box. But you might run into problems with steering geometry and things like bump steer and other adverse effects making the truck unsafe. It might be "old technology" but its design is hard to beat.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would replace all of the wear and tear parts
All new poly bushings
Coil overs if you have some deep pockets
And upgraged sway bar.

If you want better handling, look into the rear end.
A 4 link on coil overs in the rear would change your life.

Great steering will get you nowhere if you can't keep the ass end underneath it cornering...

Food for thought...

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have thought about coilovers all the way around. Maybe some QA1's.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you really want to learn quite a bit about suspension design, roll center locations, instant centers, weight jacking, torsional stiffness, torque reactions, and so on, grab yourself a copy of "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics". ( Milliken & Millikin )

After reading and re-reading this, it will feel like you tried to take a sip from a fire hose, although there are some great diagrams and explanations in the book. Most of the math is over my head, but the basic concepts are explained in a way that even the layperson would get.

Another good book apparently ( I have not read it ) is Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Poly bushings are fine, but with high loads, they tend to deflect as well, although less so than new rubber and a lot less than worn out dry rotted rubber bushings.

For performance applications, think custom made Delrin bushings or Teflon lined spherical rod ends. Your precision static alignment doesn't mean jack when your suspension mounting points move 1/2" under load.

Spending tons of money on brand name parts doesn't necessarily guarantee success, this is seen time and time again. The person who does lots of research before spending a dime and putting money where it does the most good will always do well.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Spending tons of money on brand name parts doesn't necessarily guarantee success, this is seen time and time again. The person who does lots of research before spending a dime and putting money where it does the most good will always do well.

No truer words have ever been spoken :deal: