Super frustrated....AGAIN!!! Truck is hard to start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
As most of y'all know, I have a 98 ECSB with the Vortec 305 in it. Since it started getting a little colder in the mornings here, my truck will turn over forever and will not start util I hook a charger to the battery and use the start boost function. Even then it'll sputter a few times until it starts. I do have a couple theroies that I wanted to put down to see what y'all think and to also get some suggestions.

First theroy is, I have a bad habit of using 15w40 that I get for free in my truck, so the oil could be too thick to let the engine spin over fast enough when its cold. I know it turns over fast enough to start it normally, but I think my fuel pump is weak.

Even when the truck is warm, it has a hard time starting and when it does, it acts like its starving for fuel for about a minute, but the weird thing is that once its running, it gives me no problems and runs fine, does the fuel pump have to have more fuel pressure on start up than it does while its running?

Also, is there a fuel pressure regulator on my truck?

Sorry about the long post, but I'm at the point that when I finally get it cranked, I have to leave it running for fear that it won't start again and leave us stranded, also BTW I just put a new battery in it this week. Thanks for yalls help.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
fuel pressure regulator...

here is what i do.. take the TB hat off get a flash light and one of those mirror on a stick lol.. get someone in the truck so thet can cylce the key from off to no (do not start the truck) look down in the TB with the light an mirror at the regulator and see if it drips fuel.. im going to say it bad..

if the motor is having a hard time turning over you need to check the starter it maybe weak and the extra votts is just helping it turn over if an i say if you know your battery is good. and just cuz the battery is new dont mean its good..

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Ok I'm lost, is TB throttle body? I have the spider fuel thing, would this work on mine, and I do know the batt is good, but not sure on the starter.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The regulator is part of the spider assembly under the upper intake. You checked fuel pressure yet? I got a tester if you need it.

Also you check your battery cables, they work loose sometimes. Mine have done it a few times

frito-bandito

Reaction score
P2, I modified my cables because my stock configuration kept on working itself loose, but I'll probally get back with you on the tester.

Truckin, so the pressure is supposed to hold within 5lbs? I might have been blaming my pump when its the regulator :nono:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you had modified your cables. I don't think the oil would matter, I ran 15w40 all winter last year with no problems.

Just lmk if you need the tester....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I've never done it. Shouldn't be to terribly hard I wouldn't think....