subwoofer box for ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burgett2103

Reaction score
Hey all. I bought new subs for the truck.. 2 12" kenwood 3013s. I have a custom fit box for under the rear seat, but these subs are slightly too deep for it. The only custom fit boxes I am finding online only have 6-6.5" mounting depth and these speakers are 1/4-1/2" too deep for the box. The only problem I have is that the box is a downforce box (subs face the floor) and I don't know if getting spacers will make the subs hit the floor or not.

Just curious if anyone has came across this problem and what they did to fix it.

Or, if someone has a custom box that will work for me I would look into purchasing it as well.

Let me know if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen people cut a hole on the back of the box big enough to clear the diameter of the magnet and then glue/nail a square piece of MDF to seal up the hole. The thickness of the MDF is the amount of depth you will get. e.g. If the box is made of 3/4" MDF then you will gain 3/4" of additional depth by using this method.

Now, if your subs are already touching the back of your box then this might not be for you. Ideally you want at least 1-1.25" between the back wall and the magnet. So you may be better off with a different enclosure or different subs.

burgett2103

Reaction score
Thanks man. I actually thought up of cutting a hole a little while ago, but I found a different style box on ebay that faces the subs towards the front seats instead of down. I am waiting on verification on mounting depth still.