Subwoofer/Amp PRoblems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have 2 kicker cvr 12's and I had a boss audio 1100 watt mono block powering them. A buddy of mine gave me a power cap and I figured since I had it I would use it. A few weeks later my amp would shut off while playing and I have no idea why. I've swapped amps, batteries, etc.. The only thing I have left to do is swap subs. The amp doesn't go into protect it just shuts off and then comes back on like its starving for power. Could it be the preamp out of the radio causing this? They will play but when I turn them up to where I always played them is when it shuts off. I've checked all the connections and no problems. I'm losing my mind over here! PLEASE HELP!!!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Did this start after the cap install?
What size of power wire? Your ground wire should be as big or bigger than the power one. You should be using at least 4ga. 2ga. would be better.
How old is the amp? Could be an I.C. prob.

Reaction score
Did this start after the cap install?
What size of power wire? Your ground wire should be as big or bigger than the power one. You should be using at least 4ga. 2ga. would be better.
How old is the amp? Could be an I.C. prob.

I'm using 4ga wire for both power and ground. I have some 00ga in the garage I'm thinking about changing over. What is an I.C. problem?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sorry for the muddy answer! I meant an internal circuit inside the amp. If it has ever gotten hot, things may have been cooked a bit inside it. And if it's getting a bit older, it's 'time' may be close at hand. They don't last forever! Lol! Either try a different amp, if you have one around, or get it to a repair guy that can delve deep into it. Sometimes they can be fixed, sometimes not, or it's not worth the $$$ to get 'em fixed. Sometimes it's just easier to pick up another amp. Pawn shops sell 'em fairly cheap. Usually less than 1/2 the cost of a new one. I've had pretty good luck buying stereo stuff this way.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There may be other things to check too. How do you have the subs wired to the amp? Parallel, or in series? 2ohm configuration, or 4ohm? If it's 2ohm, is the amp 2ohm stable?

Reaction score
Ive tried about 3 different amps and I have the same problem with all three. I mean it could be that all of them have blown diodes or something but I have no idea.

Reaction score
There may be other things to check too. How do you have the subs wired to the amp? Parallel, or in series? 2ohm configuration, or 4ohm? If it's 2ohm, is the amp 2ohm stable?

I forget how they're wired but they were compatible with the amp and they used to slam so hard the wiper arms would bounce off the windshield but now I cant turn it up where I like it lol