Sub problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sweet! Haha now I have 3 amps and no subs

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
My next question is what would have caused these to both fry at the same time?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guess would be improper wiring, AKA demanding a lower resistance load than the amp can supply reliably or the speakers were built to handle. I've also seen momentary shorts do stuff like that, I ran over a semi's differential cover in the middle of the highway in my old Maxima and it caused my sub box to hit the roof of my trunk and short a few connections for a split second, fried an amp.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I had 2 4 ohm subs wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well provided your equipment is rated to handle that on both ends then my next guess would be possible shorting like I mentioned above. Either that or your gains could have been set improperly. How is your amp mounted? It's not just floating around in the floorboard like in that pic is it?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well provided your equipment is rated to handle that on both ends then my next guess would be possible shorting like I mentioned above. Either that or your gains could have been set improperly. How is your amp mounted? It's not just floating around in the floorboard like in that pic is it?
No it was screwed down to the floor the amp is rated at 500 rms at 2 ohms each sub is rated at 250 watts rms

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you're sure everything was wired and set up properly then my last guess would be you probably just pushed them a little too hard. Not sure what subs you were using exactly but the fact that they're SVC Alpines leads me to believe they're probably lower end models to begin with (no offense not trying to put down your equipment choices it's just that most of the nicer models are usually DVC) and in my experience most of the cheaper stuff you buy will eventually break. When I was 17-18 I went through a ton (at least 5 or 6) of subs made by Audiobahn which were just cheap crap, finally got the point and upgraded to a Kicker Solo-Baric L7 and that thing is still alive today. Might just be a case of bad gear.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well if you're sure everything was wired and set up properly then my last guess would be you probably just pushed them a little too hard. Not sure what subs you were using exactly but the fact that they're SVC Alpines leads me to believe they're probably lower end models to begin with (no offense not trying to put down your equipment choices it's just that most of the nicer models are usually DVC) and in my experience most of the cheaper stuff you buy will eventually break. When I was 17-18 I went through a ton (at least 5 or 6) of subs made by Audiobahn which were just cheap crap, finally got the point and upgraded to a Kicker Solo-Baric L7 and that thing is still alive today. Might just be a case of bad gear.
I'm gona definately agree with that I'm gona go higher end this time

scotttick

WHO ME?
Reaction score
Does your amp have a filter, if so what do you have it se on. If subs it should be on LP (Low Pass), I have seen people leave an amp on HP or full and cause the subs to burn up.