Sub box help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I have a kicker l7 15 in a ported box in my truck right now but I want to try and make a louder one. I know there are some bass heads here. I want to make a 4th order box for it and was wondering if anyone could help with a design?

sent from your moms house

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help you much as I only build standard ported or sealed enclosures, but I'm interested to see what you find out as I've never actually seen an L7 in a 4th order bandpass. (Much less a 15") That's going to be one big ol' box. Any particular reason you're going this route? If you really want more volume you might consider a standard ported enclosure (or just a bigger 4th order if you're set on that) with a second L7 added. Not sure what your amp situation is though. The only reason I suggest this is if you're going to go to the effort and spend money on materials for a new enclosure, you might as well build something you know is absolutely going to be enough down the road. I'm not sure how much you'd really gain just by going from a standard slot port to a 4th order with the exact same sub/amp setup.

Last edited:

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1500 watt amp. Can't afford another sub at the moment so just looking at doing a different box design.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right on, personally if I were you I'd just save a little and build it once you can get a second sub. Realistically by the time you get all the MDF you'd need for that big of a 4th order (for your single sub) you'll have spent more on wood than a second L7 would cost on eBay. Also my understanding on 4th order boxes has always been that they're really not any louder than a standard (properly done) ported setup. Their main advantage is that they combine the best of both worlds between ported and sealed enclosures. The sealed portion gives you the tight, snappy bass that a lot of SQ people (myself included) really like. The ported section is tuned to run best at a set low frequency, giving you a bump in volume around that frequency range for more output.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately a new sub is about 450 so it will be out of the question for a while. Also will need another amp for the second sub.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's quite a few available brand new on eBay for cheaper than that, but I understand not wanting to spend any more than necessary. If you're really trying to go louder with the sub and amp you have now then my recommendation would be to build the biggest, nastiest slot port box you can within the specs of your L715. Like I said I really don't think you'd gain anything worth the time and money by switching to a 4th order if all you're looking for is louder, hate to see people disappointed with results. I'd compare some specs of your box vs what Kicker recommends to decide if it's going to be worth it. Airspace, port tuning, etc.

EDIT - Brain no spell words right.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Bandpass boxes are not hard to model with the proper software, but beware they are not forgiving at all in terms of construction error, unlike a small sealed box. They are also very stressful on speaker joints, and can be run into distress without notice, as the distortion products are somewhat filtered out.

Simply put the gain would be over a narrow band, and the enclosure would gobble up a lot more real estate, so the return on investment is not as good.

I like ported enclosures, but in most vehicles that's a no-go unless you are willing to give up a large amount of room. Space is finite in most vehicles, and especially in a truck, if you consider hauling passengers part of it's duties.

If you want something to slide in for competition, then that's another story. However, for a DD I would stick to a simple sealed box.

What voltage do you have at the battery terminals when you have the truck running with a moderate load? What size of cable do you have run to the amplifier? What amplifier? Do you have enough signal voltage from the head unit to drive the amplifier to it's full output?

To avoid voltage drop for that amount of power, you need at minimum a 4awg copper or a 2/0 CCAW wire.

Once you check to make sure you are getting the proper amount of voltage at the battery connections on the amp, and the head unit is providing a hot enough signal, it's time to set the gains. You can do this with a test CD, play a 0dbfs 60 hz sinewave. Set the head unit to about 3/4 of it's maximum output, and measure the amplifier output voltage going to the subwoofer with a multimeter. For 1500 watts into 4 ohm, you want to have 77 volts AC @ the speaker terminals.

Chances are you aren't getting close to that with voltage sag, and the like.

I should add "DO NOT PLAY A CONTINUOUS 60 HZ SINE WAVE FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS AT A TIME"

1500 watts is a lot of heat in a region where the coil isn't moving much in the gap. Basically, like a heat gun at full output with no where to dissipate the heat, other than by convection.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once again, extremely solid stereo advice from Michael Hurd. I also agree with using sealed boxes for DD vehicles, but I suggested the slot port enclosure simply because OP seems to want it louder if at all possible and didn't mention any space/cargo issues.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the big three upgrade with 0 gauge and 0 gauge running to amp. Amp sees between 13 and 14 volts continuously head unit output is at 5 volts. Sub is in a ported enclosure I built tuned to 35 htz back seat is already removed from truck and box is in its place. Gains have all been set and all that's good. Just looking to mainly try a different kind of box and see how I like it for a future project. Just working with what I got now. As far as the space I have the extended cab part of the truck to work with

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious, what's the volume of your current box? Kicker's recommendation for max vented enclosure size is 6.0 cubic ft, at least for the current generation of L7 15s.