Stupid Fuel Pump ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx125

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What fuel pump goes in a 1997 Tahoe 2dr 5.7l? I find that 98 and up come as complete assembly and 96 and below are separate pieces. I'm trying to figure out the 97 though. Thanks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Why are you not looking up your 97? Does it list both?

You might have to drop the tank and then buy a pump. Fuel pumps had many different codes. If you've got an OEM pump, it'll be marked. Some pumps have a pressure sensor that looks like a MAF, and some don't.... not sure of the other differences. This last time I had to buy a pump, thankfully, I was able to find the dealer receipt from 2007 which gave me a part number, which gave me the pump code.

95 and below will be TBI, so low pressure, 96 and up will be high pressure. At some point....98 (I think?) they switched to quick connect fittings on the lines.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm about 99% sure your Tahoe uses the assembly (plastic trash can) as all the Vortec-era SUV's do. In the -pickups-, 97 was a mid-year switch from the exposed pump/sender style to the plastic trash can.

Richard

trx125

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to be a full assembly for the 4dr 97 model. But can't find a definite answer for the 2 door. Oh well, back to the search.

coale71

Reaction score
I had a 96 Yukon 2wd 2 door back in the day. When the fuel pump went out and I replaced it, It was the plastic complete assembly.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a mirror on a stick, flash light and rag to see the pump if able. If it's metal, it is a pump-on-a-stick. Look for tag code and practice your'e reading backward. If plastic, it is a bottom-referencing type, that is an entire assembly. This is a tricky point for trucks, regarding mis-fire counting. As Manufactures where able to get CARB to roll back the mis-fire counter to keep CEL from being on everyday, they moved to the plastic bucket type that held fuel around pump during long turns with low fuel levels or acceleration when low. 1997 was a key year for changes but using the tag code and don't forget production date in door jamb. Regardless, over many moons of re-fueling events, dust gets into the tank and builds up. If the "Sock" of bottom filter on pump is really dis-colored and appears to have plugged pours on bottom, the tank should be removed and clean. Cleaning is done with empty tank, the hottest water you can get, agitate tank back & forth, then empty and dry by hand and evaporation in low humidity area. This procedure is in the service information for GM. Plastic bucket types, have two filters inside the tank. One on the bottom of the canister and one inside the bucket on the bottom of the pump. A pocket screwdriver will let you push-in 3 tabs on the bucket and slide off with fuel sender disconnected, then inspect the bottom and inside sock on pump. This will give you additional information as to the condition of dust, dirt or debris in tank. It does not happen over night. The ACDelco pump, installed at the time of build lasted 150k, why does a replacement fail after a few months? I just answered the elusive question. All of the pump manufactures, have people in the field who look at "Defects" in the pile at the warehouse distributor for date code, brand and reject payment on dirty ones. I have dozens of shops all over the mid-west follow this practice and reported back on what they found and how many pumps quit failing after seminar training discussions during the presentation. No one want to replace pumps and eat the labor and part. This is why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMACGMC