Stuck slip yoke in NP-246

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tl;dr at bottom. So before a recent trip to Lake McConaughy I started getting the burb in tip top shape (or so I thought, should’ve started earlier!) to pull the 31’ travel trailer I rent (the setup in the back ground of pic below to keep it interesting, not me pictured, I’m driving the boat) the 3 or so hour drive up there.

You must be registered for see images attach

One of the things I knew I should address was a tinking noise that sounded like it was in the driveline coming from the drivers side. It was most prevalent at slower speeds, <25 mph, and did not change with braking, or 4 wheel drive engagement.

I figured it was probably a u joint and brought it by a local driveshaft shop that I’ve had rebuild and balance a few on my past Gmt400’s just to get his expert opinion. Upon crawling under the burb he immediately mentioned the front driveshaft was missing the dust boot on the slip yoke going into transfer case and 2/4 u joints in front and back shafts were toast. Pull them out and drop them off to him and he’d have them done in a day.

This is where the fun started. He mentioned with the dust boot being gone, I may have trouble slipping the yoke in and out and may have to beat on it a bit to get it moving, and he’s even heard of people having to use an air chisel. Long story somewhat short, lol, the yoke didn’t budge and after finally getting the front driveshaft out of the way, nothing worked. Air chisel, 2lb sledge, 10 lb sledge and a buddy, nothing.

Unless any of you fine gents have any tricks up your sleeve, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m most likely going to have to pull the transfer case to get it out, possibly just rebuilding it to get inside of it if I still can’t budge it on a bench, or I may just start looking for another 246 to rebuild and replace this one and save the time and frustration of the burb being down longer than necessary. TIA for any help or suggestions

Tl;dr - slip yoke seriously stuck in transfer case, looking like r&r of NP-246 is only option. Pulling a 31’ travel trailer through the sand at McConaughy with 2wd was a little tricky ;)

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not going to like my answer. Took the transfer case out and to a buddy that has a shop. They worked on it for many hours to no avail. Had to cut the yoke and pull the gear from the inside. Installed a used gear, new bearing and the case saver.

You must be registered for see images attach