stuck lifters please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey ive got a tbi 350 with 250k on it and I'm trying to get the lifters out they will move up and down in the bore but when they reach the top they wont budge and its really pissing me off and the cam in this engine is so dang tiny that it wont push them out of the bores if anyone else has run into this problem and has a solution please help

singed a frustrated redneck

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The bottoms of the lifters have started to bevel out. Really common issue on older motors. Because your changing them, take a pick and remove the locking ring and pull the guts out, then grab hold of the lifter housing with a pair of vice grips and keep pulling until they pop out. Have fun!

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I wasn't planning on changing them but I guess ill have to since the bottoms are starting to mushroom I was just going to clean them because one of them is clogged with sludge and its not pumping up this is going to be a pita thanks for the advice ill try it tomorrow

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a Lisle 13750 or similar lifter pulling tool. Bout the only way I know to do it without destroying the lifter and without the engine on a stand. Why do you need to get the cam and lifters out?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Depending on the how bad the lifter is mushroomed, the Lisle tool may not help. Besides, once they get clogged and mushroomed, they really shouldn't be reused.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I was just going to pull the lifters to clean them because one of them is clogged with sludge and is not pumping up so the rocker arm gets loose and taps but ive given up on getting them out through the top I'm just going to pull the cam and take them out from the bottom while I'm in there I'm swapping in a summit k1101. thanks for all the help yall

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twomanymontes is right about them being toast regardless. I wouldn't reuse them, especially if you are swapping cams. Flat tappet lifters wear to the cam, so swapping cams and reusing lifters is asking for trouble. There are ways to true and dress the bottom of the lifter, but given your issues, that set isn't worth the slim chance of saving them. SBC lifters are too cheap not to toss in a new set.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
A lot of times is just buildup of deposits. Spray a little wd40 on them and work them up and down in the bore and they will most likely pop right out. I have had this happen more than once.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i know not to use the old lifters with a new cam the summit cam in geting comes with new lifters i was just going to get lifters but they wanted 70 bucks then i saw the summit k1101 with lifters for 93 and decided it was a better deal