Still sloppy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasup guys. I finally decided to replace my front end parts. I had about a good 4 inches of play before it'll move the wheels. I replaced all steering parts including the jeep steering mod. Yet I still have lots of play. I bought an ac delco professional steering gear, to try to avoid any problems. Have any of you guys replaced everything and still had play? Tried adjusting the nut on top, didn't do anything.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A list of exactly what you replaced and worked on might help. Some people say "everything" but might have missed something here or there.

I don't know about that AC Delco "professional" stuff but I am pretty sure any steering gearbox you get today as "new" is really a rebuild, and rebuilds can be sketchy, very hit or miss. Even the guys that have spent top dollar on those AGR steering boxes have got a lemon every now and then.

Some troubleshooting using a helper to crank the wheel while you watch, will more than likely show you where the problem is.

Richard

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, steering gear box, jeep steering shaft swap. Re used center link since it was fine. Even noticed the play when it was up in the air turning it back n forth to bleed it. Had the wife turn the wheel while I watched everything, and it was perfect. It ****** me off cause I've spread the purchases out, to get the best stuff.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can check to see if the play is in the box by turning the shaft back and forth and seeing when the pitman arm moves. Did you put in new ball joints or are they good?

Redhead steering boxes are supposed to be the best but then youre looking at 300 plus 150 for a core charge.

Edit*** And did you have the truck professionally aligned?

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The play is definitely in the box. I can turn the steering shaft by hand back n forth before i see pitman arm move. All ball joints are fine. Tried to wiggle wheels while it was in the air. Alignment is good, it'll track straight for a bit before it hits a bump

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Go Redhead and dont go back!

I got a redhead quick ration box when I rebuilt my front end (Moog Tie rods, ball joints, pitman/Idler) and I put in a flaming river u-joint replacement to the rag joint. Very happy with the results, going down the road and any small touch of the wheel gets a reaction from the truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, as detailed in that autozone page (I didn't read the whole thing but it looks to be a copy of the factory service manual info) you don't just turn the set screw on the top of the box, you gotta do that in conjunction with the other adjustment as well.

But on a reman/new box, I wouldn't be messing with it, I would be replacing it. It should not need any adjustment, IMO.

Edit - weird, uh, I guess the guy that posted the link to the autozone page deleted his post right after I replied. Anyway point is you don't just turn the set screw on top of the box. You'll end up with problems. Factory manual details the adjustments necessary and they're a bit involved, best done with the box off the truck, and you should not need to do this on a new box...only a worn one.

I would also agree that on this steering design that re-using the centerlink is fine in most situations, as it has no wear parts at all. The only thing I'd watch for is egging-out of the holes where the tie rod studs mount, and that would be pretty unlikely in most cases.

Richard

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a tape measure on the wheel and measured all the play. It'll move 3 inches before any resistance is felt. I called the online place i got it from. That was another headache describing the problem to the lady, who knew nothing about cars. She called it a "ck" 2- five hundred lol! Anyways, they will send another after ups confirms I gave it to them. Not I gotta take the damn thing out again.

Steam Engine

Reaction score
sounds like fun, I'm getting ready to replace upper and lower ball joints, pitman, idler and bracket, tie rods inner and outer, and I hope I dont have to replace the steering box on mine as well.
I got a 2000 k2500 HD crew cab classic, it is hell trying to get the right parts, and yea the people you call and ask about parts have no clue at all what you are asking.