stiffer steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
We had the 95 on a diag machine, the abs setup is actually VERY simple. It has a speed sensor on each front wheel, and one in the differential. The abs box reads the speed of the 3 sensors, and when it detects that the rear sensor is either moving slower than the fronts, or isn't moving atall, it pulses the rear brakes to keep them from locking up. It's mainly designed for when you're towing, so you don't jackknife. Mine, the rear diff sensor was faulty(needed cleaned), but while I was in there, just went ahead and replaced the pickup head assembly. Easy as pie. If the light is on, the abs is disabled as far as I know, no matter if it's plugged in or not. You can plug it back in then remove the abs light bulb until you decide to get it fixed. This way you have no worries of the contacts in the plugs being open to the elements and corroding.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had the 95 on a diag machine, the abs setup is actually VERY simple. It has a speed sensor on each front wheel, and one in the differential. The abs box reads the speed of the 3 sensors, and when it detects that the rear sensor is either moving slower than the fronts, or isn't moving atall, it pulses the rear brakes to keep them from locking up. It's mainly designed for when you're towing, so you don't jackknife. Mine, the rear diff sensor was faulty(needed cleaned), but while I was in there, just went ahead and replaced the pickup head assembly. Easy as pie. If the light is on, the abs is disabled as far as I know, no matter if it's plugged in or not. You can plug it back in then remove the abs light bulb until you decide to get it fixed. This way you have no worries of the contacts in the plugs being open to the elements and corroding.

In the Diffy? I'm pretty sure it uses the vss on the trans or transfer case (where applicable)

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score

I'd actually like to fix it if I can

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I phibbed a bit.....I didn't actually crawl under there. I DO know the printout from the prob showed "rear diff speed sensor"........my speedo was 90% inoperable also, now it works fine, so yeah, that's prolly what it was. If I'd known it was that, I'd already bought a new vss to put in there when I did a fluid change on the tranny. Now I have a spare vss.........thanks alot PAUL!!! :(

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I phibbed a bit.....I didn't actually crawl under there. I DO know the printout from the prob showed "rear diff speed sensor"........my speedo was 90% inoperable also, now it works fine, so yeah, that's prolly what it was. If I'd known it was that, I'd already bought a new vss to put in there when I did a fluid change on the tranny. Now I have a spare vss.........thanks alot PAUL!!! :(

No problem!

Sent from somewhere in MN