Stepside bed damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i got one like that that needed a little work for my stepside it got rear ended and bent the bed floor and cracked one side in the same side just not as bad and only paid 200 for it hers the pics fixed the bed floor with a sledge hammer and fiber glassed the size

You must be registered for see images attach

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ignore the dirt, but the piece my finger is on.

That piece sits between the bedsides under the tailgate. If you look at yours, it's as wide/long as your tailgate is, whereas on mine (stepside) it's only as wide as the stepside tailgate.

To make it work you have 3 options.

1. Get some snips or anything that'll cut it, and trim it down to as wide as the strip on the stepside bumper (I'll go measure the piece for ya if you want, or

2 get a stepside bumper, or

3. Replace the step pad on top of your bumper with one from a stepside.

I'd just trim it unless you just need a new bumper. Also the filler neck is rubber if I remember correctly, and it's clamped together, so you "should" be able to trim it down to the length needed for the stepside bed. (I'm not sure how much you'd need to trim it.)

Thanks for all that great information. The bumper I currently have I had to trim it to fit the fleetside bed on after replacing the rear quarters of the bed. I think I will just trim my rear bumper to work with the step side bed. I was looking at roll pans but it looks like I wouldn't be able to use my hitch with one of those.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got one like that that needed a little work for my stepside it got rear ended and bent the bed floor and cracked one side in the same side just not as bad and only paid 200 for it hers the pics fixed the bed floor with a sledge hammer and fiber glassed the size

Wow - that looks really nice. I found another bed that is only 45minutes away from me compared to the 2hours for the one that is pictured. The new one I found is in better shape, solid, and the only problem is the leafs went up through the bed floor, which I found patch panels for it on LMC. This guy only wants $100 for the bed. No tail gate, but I think for $100 its worth the 45minute drive, and to fix the bed holes were the leaf springs came up through.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Wow - that looks really nice. I found another bed that is only 45minutes away from me compared to the 2hours for the one that is pictured. The new one I found is in better shape, solid, and the only problem is the leafs went up through the bed floor, which I found patch panels for it on LMC. This guy only wants $100 for the bed. No tail gate, but I think for $100 its worth the 45minute drive, and to fix the bed holes were the leaf springs came up through.

o yeah thats a good deal the under side of this bed was spotless didnt have a tailgate though but i had my original one

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am from southern Vermont. Yeah, I am going with the $100 one. Even though the floor has holes I am sure its easy enough to patch. I did weld on all new bed panels on my fleet side bed. Only problem with it now is the fleet side bed floor is rotted away, which is why I am converting to the step side - plus the price is right :)

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I am from southern Vermont. Yeah, I am going with the $100 one. Even though the floor has holes I am sure its easy enough to patch. I did weld on all new bed panels on my fleet side bed. Only problem with it now is the fleet side bed floor is rotted away, which is why I am converting to the step side - plus the price is right :)

good choice heres mine after the body work

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow - that looks amazing. How much of a weight difference is a step side vs fleet side?