Steerin wheel controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darin1047

Reaction score
I need help from anyone who has put in the factory steering wheel controls out of a s10 or cadi in to a gmt400. I have a 99 obs truck . I read the how to install the steering wheel controls in these trucks. All you need is a clock spring and the switches, simple 4 wire hook up. power,ground, lights, function. i bought all brand new parts from gm and also a pac module to work with my kenwood deck. I got everything installed and it all works fine when i use accessorie mode on the truck. when i start the truck the buttons malfunction and start to do what they are not programmed for. example the volume up button changes radio station, or the seek up button mutes the sound. if i immediately shut the truck off and turn it to accessorie then the work fine. I have put 2 coils in the the truck. one from an s10 and one from a cadi. they were 2 different numbers. thought that might do something. also 2 sets of switchs. i have put a new pac module in and i also tried a axxess aswc module as well. which was doing the same thing.

i am stumped. is there a different current that gets put threw when the truck starts or anything, should i put a resistor in or something. Please help i have been messing with this for almost a month

Darin1047

Reaction score
now that is interesting. in your right up you say the yellow is power and green is function. in the write up on this forum the say that yellow is function and green is power. i may have to try switching wires. not sure how to test to see who is correct or not

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now that is interesting. in your right up you say the yellow is power and green is function. in the write up on this forum the say that yellow is function and green is power. i may have to try switching wires. not sure how to test to see who is correct or not

Give that a shot. I have done a few of these and the green is always the function, and the yellow is always a power.

Let me know if it works for you...

Shawn

Darin1047

Reaction score
Well that didn't work. Still does same thing. Were did you hook up the power wire too. Do you have accessorie power. I tried a new power source but that didn't work either and it didn't work on accessorie. I taped in to the green wire in the radio harness. Is that the power wire you use

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that didn't work. Still does same thing. Were did you hook up the power wire too. Do you have accessorie power. I tried a new power source but that didn't work either and it didn't work on accessorie. I taped in to the green wire in the radio harness. Is that the power wire you use

No, I didnt...I used a regular 12+ switched, tapped that right into the radio plug yellow wire.

This is the wiring from the clockspring... Here are the connections...

yellow wire = 12v switched (hot with key on)
grey = dash lights positive (makes the buttons light)
green = wheel signals to the new PAC SWI-X unit.
black = ground.

Again, this is the 4 wires from the clockspring in the grey loom. The yellow loom, as you know is the SIR system.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am assuming that you are using the PAC SWI-X...the one with the little led eye to operate the infrared remote on the radio... As long as you have it hooked this way, it should be working.

That green wire you are tapping on the radio harness is I believe some type of serial data output for the rear controls if so equipped. I know for a fact I did not use any green wire for power. I tapped the yellow wire on the radio plug, but it was in the section of the radio plug with 6 wires in it. There is another yellow, and thats the speaker wire. The yellow you are looking to tap is directly beside a orange wire, which is the 12v constant. If you prefer, you can tap any 12V constant that you find, but I used the radio plug to be absolutely sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a link to the instructions to the PAC SWI-X unit itself...

Bear in mind, that our trucks were not equipped with the wheel controls, so step number 3 in the PAC instructions is not valid for us. This is where I believe your issue may lie. You will need to hook up that green wire on the unit to the green wire on the clockspring. As I stated above, The green wire they are telling you to you is from a body control module which has something to do with the wheel controls. Our OBS trucks dont have this feature.

PAC SWI-X Wiring and programming.

I hope this help clear it up, and hopefully it will solve your issue.

Shawn

Darin1047

Reaction score
Shawn I owe you huge man. Your way worked awesome. After over a month of messing around and way too much money I finally have factory steering wheel controls and they work great

Cheers man. Thank you

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shawn I owe you huge man. Your way worked awesome. After over a month of messing around and way too much money I finally have factory steering wheel controls and they work great

Cheers man. Thank you

Glad I could help! Enjoy!

Just out of curiosity, where did you mount your led at?

Shawn

Darin1047

Reaction score
I actually didn't use a swi-X. I used a swi-RC and have it sitting behind the deck. I assume you need to mount a led with the swi-X

I now notice thought when I shut my truck off I get a thud from my sub after messing with all this wiring so I have to figure what is causing that but that's another day to deal with. At least the switches work.