Starting issues....sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flintlock

Reaction score
I think it may be my aftermarket Sony head unit drawing amps while off, the cigarette lighter 12v spots,
or even something else. Something is draining the battery when it sits. I cleaned the ground points, turned the head unit off and removed the face plate and undid my phone charger from the 12v to be sure. If it cranks fine in the morning, problem solved.
edit* I pulled the radio fuse too

Last edited:

Jake85

Reaction score
I have a 98 and it starts fine after it's set for awhile. But if you drive it and then turn it off it has a real hard time starting. Had good fuel pressure. Just performed the mpfi swap. Also has p1351 code. Any ideas?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Run a fuel pressure test. It needs to be over 60 PSI fuel pressure once you turn the key on but before you turn the star over. Vortecs are very sensitive to this, and it will act just like you describe if the pressure is below 60 PSI pre start.

flintlock

Reaction score
Sorry guys I'm in the middle of finals week here at school. The truck started perfectly this morning, the wiper blades blew a fuse in the rain. Replaced the fuse wipers work fine. Throughout the day the truck started a little slower than I'd like, it would take a try or two. I'm not too worried about it if it's the radio, I'll just pull the fuse before I park it at night until I can replace it. It may be the 12v, does it have a fuse? If so I'll pull it and try to trace the issue. Last, it could be something else, hopefully not. Also, in addition to a plethora of issues including leaks, knocks, ticks, wear and tear....something in the belt drive whines terribly with the rpms. It is quite loud lol and I thought it was the pulley tensioner, it was loose, replaced...same noise. Replaced the alternator and the noise is still there. What could it be?
Thanks again guys for the help. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
I'm not thinking it's a ground if it's cranking and will not start.
Hello, this is my first post. I have a 1990 1500 Sierra with 350 TBI and 700R4. When I got it it had 275000 miles on it and the tranny slipped. I am a retired Ryder truck rental mechanic with 45 years experience. Only 27 of them at Ryder. I rebuilt the engine and transmission and all was well with the truck for a short time. I have replaced the distributor module 4 times. Each time it was the imported lifetime Oreilley module. I tried them in another vehicle and it would not start either. Any way the engine when cold has to turn over for about 7 seconds before it will start. After it has run for a good while it will start instantly. It has new fuel pump, wiring harness is good to distributor.

Reaction score
I will try the TBI coolant temp sender. I never heard of that one leaking internally before. I have one on hand but now its raining outside.

flintlock

Reaction score
Okay, last night I forgot to unplug the radio fuses and pull my charger out. No start this morning, just cranks. I'll catch a jump from somebody no big deal, just started my day off without starting my truck lol.