Starter interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff hinze

Reaction score
Will a starter from 96 k1500 5.7 work in 98 k1500 5.7. the 96 has the larger direct drive & the 98 has the smaller gear reduction

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but only if you're doing it because you're broke. The mini starter is stronger, lighter, and consumes less power. If it's gone bad, find a local starter/alternator shop to rebuild it, or replace it with a new (quality brand) unit.

Either way you go, be sure without fail to use the correct bolts as the two starters use different length bolts. Using washers or anything to space the wrong bolts will lead to disaster - busted starter, flywheel, bolts, or even broken starter pad on the block - or all of these things.

If you put a larger starter on a vehicle originally equipped with the mini, you'll also need to ream out the terminal end on the positive cable to fit the larger solenoid stud; no big deal.

Richard

jeff hinze

Reaction score
Ok thanks for info, had the 96 larger starter from a parts trk.. the 98 I'm putting it on had the gear reduction from what I'd found looks like GM used both in those years. Are the bolts longer or shorter for the 96 starter ?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Should be longer bolts on the larger starter - the mini uses the shortest. The correct bolts will have the crosshatched shoulder area resting partially within the starter body, and partially into the bolt hole in the block. That shoulder helps position the starter and prevent it from moving around.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM "mini" Permanent Magnet, Gear Reduction (PMGR) starters use a special bolt that has a stepped knurl area, because the bolt shank is metric, but the threads and the hole in the block are the same SAE as previous years. The older starters use a bolt with a smaller shank and a one-size knurl.

GM and ARP mini-starter bolts, with part numbers. There's a GM "short" step-knurl bolt for small-flywheel applications, too.
You must be registered for see images attach

GM Step-knurl

ARP big-shank, small-knurl mini-starter bolts. I don't like these as much as the Genuine GM bolts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. If you put a BIG, old-fashioned starter onto a vehicle that came with a newer PMGR starter, you're also going to need the brace/bracket that supports the front of the starter, bolted to the block. These are often "forgotten" by a meathead that replaces the original starter, so they're often missing.

Three out of four are still available from GM for Chevy V-8s. The part number you need depends on the flywheel you have--153 vs. 168 tooth, (just like the starter itself); and big-block vs. small block.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-03965589

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-354353

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-03965588

jeff hinze

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i did use the old style starter & bolts from the 96 truck didn't have the bracket on either both starters were remans & both trks have 280 - 300k so who knows which they came with. I only drive it couple times a month & it works fine.