stalling when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for a while now my trucks been running like crap when its cold outside. untill it warms up it stumbles and has actually shut off now twice. once it warms up it doesnt run like crap anymore. it did it last winter too but not as bad. not sure where to start. im pretty sure the cats clogged and i need to replace the fuel filter but besides that ive got no idea where else to look

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Ignition Control Module has been a problem for the past 2 winters apparently. It just died on me a couple weeks ago. I was always taught that when the ICM is bad....it wont run. So I never checked it or thought it could be the culprit. Once it was started in the morning..it was fine. The trick was the cold start. I dont know if this is your issue but couldnt hurt to check.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no the light never comes on. i changed the fuel filter and it helpd alot but it will still stumble like once everytime i drive it. it stalled when i was turning today

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Any change in mileage or does your exhaust smell rich? Also, check your fuel lines right behind the intake, where they screw into each other. I was having hard starting problems and intermittent cutout issues as well. Turns out the feed line was loose right behind the intake. Tightened it up and that fixed it

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Scratch that. I just saw that you have a 95, which means throttle body. Timing. Check your timing.

Michael D

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the IAC. When it's under a cold start situation, the IAC should open up enough to sustaine a high idle situation long enough for the engine to warm up and get into the normal operating perameters set in the computer. Then the IAC will close, and the engine will return to a normal idle. I'm guessing that when it's running cold, it's running at a really low rpm. The reason it would die while turning is the really low cold idle, combined with the extra drag from the p/s pump. The IAC might not be totally bad, but it probably has carbon build-up in it, making not work properly. You can pull it off, and clean it out with a can of carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. Quick and easy fix. Here's something to try. After the truck is fully warmed up and idling normal, try turning on the a/c. The other function of the IAC is to increase the idle rpm when the a/c is on, to compensate for the added drag of the a/c compressor. If your IAC is sticking, or flat out is done, your idle rpm will drop when you turn the a/c on. Maybe not a ton, but it should be noticeable.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i cleaned the iac a while back when it started idlening funny last winter and it helped some but it never stalled last year. havent driven it all week ill drive it tomorrow and see what it does when i turn ac on

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its showing a code 13 for the o2 sensor lean, but it seems my trucks running real rich. and the spray pattern looks like its spraying too much and almost like it runs down the sides of the bore holes and some gets on the studs its that weird