Speed Bleeders and ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinMT

Reaction score
I recently purchased Speed Bleeders for the front and rear of my '97 ECSB. 4WD with anti-lock brakes. Am I safe assuming that if I pull the stock bleed screws and replace them with the Speed Bleeders that any air introduced during this process will be downstream of the ABS unit and I won't need to worry about having that bled by a shop?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No difference in this regard whether you use speed bleeders or the stock bleeder screws. The problem with air getting into the ABS unit is when you open the system up to do something like replace a caliper, wheel cylinder, hose, hard line, etc. OR if you let the reservoir run dry. You'll now have air in the system that can make its way into the ABS controller. Speed bleeders don't solve this. What they do for you is simply make brakes easier to bleed by making it simpler to do it 1-man without a bleeder cup or other special tool; don't need someone to press and hold the pedal while you crack the bleeder open then close it before they release.

Richard