Spark plug gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schwarze_crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am tuning up my pickup, and trying to find the proper plug gap. Sticker says to gap to .060. The current plugs in it are delco 41-932. They are gapped to .060 and have arc deposits. The plugs I nought are Delco 41-993 iridium plugs. So I ask, what is the proper gap, as I've heard you want to set the gap closer with iridium plugs. Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I would set them to the stock .060.
Iridium, platinum, etc. is basically used for longevity. It also allows for a smaller, more efficient electrode which provides better cold starting and quicker acceleration.
They say Iridium plugs can go 100,000 miles but I would never run them that long.
The max I would go is 50,000 miles. With today's gas, they collect too much deposits on them if you go further than that.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any of the special type of plugs I would not try to gap. There is just a light coating on the electrodes. You can actually damage the coating if you try to gap it if you use the gapper that you use between the electrodes.

What year is your truck? Most engines even in the 90's still only need just regular copper plug.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's running 41-932 plugs then it is a Vortec engine, so 96 or later. They came from the factory with platinum plugs, which should be replaced with 41-932 plugs if you want the current OE replacement. I have the 41-993 iridium's in my Burb, and they have done no different than the 41-932's. As far as the gap goes, the electrode is much easier to damage than on copper plugs, and should not be gapped with a wedge type feeler gauge, but rather with an actual feeler gauge and a proper gap adjusting tool.

Ego mobili

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Interesting to know about the non copper plugs. I guess you learn the small things all the time.

~Via Mobile now Free

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
They make a special tool for gapping platinum and Irridium plugs. It actually bends the end so you don't damage the tips.

And I would never leave plugs in longer than 60K. Not due to wear, but due to the plugs becoming stuck in the head. They are a real pain to have to drill out and re tap