Spare Tire Toolbox Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ripped out my carpet this last weekend in preparation for putting in new carpet and audio this next weekend. Everything went pretty decent except getting that spare tire tool box out. The stud that sticks up in the center of the box does NOT want to come out. I'm assuming it's threaded so I started twisting it (lefty loosey) with some channel locks. It twisted for about 3 turns then stopped and wouldn't go any further. Do any of you have any tips and tricks on removing this?? :think: I wasn't thinking it was supposed to be that difficult :roflbow: I definitely don't want to break that box trying to get it out, though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They can often be a sonofabitch... I've had to lock onto them with large vise grips to remove. There's some factory thread locker on them if I recall, but the main reason most get stuck is they probably rust at the end of the threads where they go through the captive nut in the floor, under the cab. So...unfortunately, if yours is being that difficult, you may have to mangle at least the stud to remove it.

Richard

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
hmmm...not what I wanted to hear. I mainly want to keep that box back there to store the tool that drops the spare down but I wouldn't trust that OEM jack for anything. Assuming that rod get mangled maybe I can just remove the box and store the spare tire tool some other way and forget the box. :think:

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Mine was a biotch too. So I turned it as much as you, pb blasted it and then kept working it loose.

Sent from Robl@nd

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just kept bending the rod that holds it in back and forth til she broke. The tool box will no longer go back in though Lol. But it was intended that way. #subs

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yup, rust on the end of the stud.

Penetrating oil from underneath and vice grips is what did mine. Work it back and forth, if you try all at once the threads will heat and it will snap off....

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Wanted to install my subs back there and can't get the damn thing to come loose. Might just have to end up breaking it. Won't be able to carry a large enough spare tire underneath anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Something to try if nothing else work is a pipe wrench. As it turns, it bites into the metal. Turn it more, it bites more.

I've had to do this before but it often buggers the stud beyond use if you cant get low enough under the threads.

I've never checked, but the stud might still be available through the dealer.