Something in my truck shorted out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started my truck today and it wasn't running right. Popped the hood, and a couple of seconds later it started running right. Got in the truck to shut it off, and seen smoke coming from under the hood. Shut the engine off and the smoke was coming from the positive battery cable. About half of the insulation was burned off. Don't know if somehow the battery cable shorted out to the frame or if something else went wrong.

Reaction score
make sure both ends of battery ground are good. tight, rust and dirt free. or did pos side cable ground against exhaust/frame? good starting point anyway

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep definately check to see if it shorted out on the frame of starter or something.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad is driving down tonight to help me tomorrow. I really can't tell if it shorted against the frame. It burnt alot of the insulation. It also had the plastic conduit or whatever its called over the cable, it was also burnt. Maybe the battery shorted? The starter? Or maybe the cable shorted to the frame. Thats really all I can think of.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It still has the side post.

My dad thinks its the starter, which is only about a year old. And its the 2nd replacement starter. The original starter and the last starter had a bad solenoid. Good chance it could be a bad starter, its from advance. So is the battery and the battery cable. The battery is a bit over 3 years old and out of warranty.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regardless, you'll have to replace that wire anyways. You should be able to figure it out once you start ripping things apart.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea change the wire and have the starter tested. changing starter for bad solenoid, come on man you can buy them seperately and change em for like $15 I've done it lol. Let em test your starter at autozone or advance and see what's up with it. Take your battery to let em tesrt it out while you're at it.