someone help my trucks killing me here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
so few months ago i blew out my headgaskets twice to be exact. take engine out to rering it because the second tie i noticed it needed it. found out two rods were back asswards and the crank was gouged to hell and stock pistons in a .030 overbore as well as a number of other things that made me scratch my head in amazement. so i got a great deal on a 383 crank but im thinking this was a bad idea because i turn my cam and it only moves 350 degrees and hits something. nothing seems to be in the way i want my truck back so if anyone has ideas please let me know

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
if you get the crank for a 383 you need to get shorter rods or new pistons with offset wristpins otherwise it will violently fail

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you either use 6.0 rods or 5.7 but you have to get the correct pistons for either. i had a set of brand new 5.7 rods so i bought 5.7 4.030 piston heads and that all works good the issue i found it that the rods are coming past up into the cam chamber and rubbing on it. can be rubbing much though. o i either grind on it which isnt ideal or i get a small base circle cam which i know nothing about

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah, most of the time people just grind the rod a bit so that it clears...its pretty common to need to clearance the rods on 383 motors

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
you either use 6.0 rods or 5.7 but you have to get the correct pistons for either. i had a set of brand new 5.7 rods so i bought 5.7 4.030 piston heads and that all works good the issue i found it that the rods are coming past up into the cam chamber and rubbing on it. can be rubbing much though. o i either grind on it which isnt ideal or i get a small base circle cam which i know nothing about

i've built 3 or 4 383strokers and i used short rods on the first one and then offset pistons for the next two. it was on pre 89 chevy 5.7l and i NEVER had clearance issues like this. they went very smooth. this makes me wonder why you're having this issue period because the TBI isn't set up differently internaly than the Carb'd 5.7

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
thats what i thought, i will borrow my friends smart phone later and see if i cannot get a picture of whats going on. i found on summit a howard small base circle cam for 119 that is very close to the cam specs i was hoping to run so i may go that route but then again ive destroyed my first cam bearing taking the damn thing out so much.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i set the cam gear so that i have rpms not towing. i noticed that 4 and 5 do stick up into the cams "cove" shall we say. that has to be it because there is no other way the cam would interfere will the cranks movement at a certain degree.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i guess what i'm saying is that i've never run into it, and i can't understand WHY it's doing it. did you take the cam to a machine shop and have it reground or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseamani55