solid axle front who has one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtiewarrior

Reaction score
I've always considered this but not many people do it when it seems so easy. has any one done it?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couple guys on here either have or are in the process of doing it.

check out the lifted/offroad areas of the forum and there should be a couple SAS or SFA threads on there.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easy? For some people yes. Expensive? Definitely - if you want to make it burly enough to go wheeling. That's why most people don't do it. You can easily drop 10 grand on a good setup.

Bowtiewarrior

Reaction score
Easy? For some people yes. Expensive? Definitely - if you want to make it burly enough to go wheeling. That's why most people don't do it. You can easily drop 10 grand on a good setup.

10K seems far too much maybe if you wanted some crazy coil over suspension. I have an off road rig its not a gmt400 its an 1989 K5 I've put some cash into it making it a 1-ton and a stick but I might have $3000 in the truck and I'll take it anywhere.

The GMT400 I know for a fact in the early 90's they made trucks with solid front axles or there was a company making them. all 3500HD chassis cab trucks came with a beam axle and leaf sprung front that would be simple to convert to a leaf spring ford dana 60 and a t-case out of any IFS truck.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i never knew about that. red97 has a bunch of pics of a sas in the build threds i belive. i have a d44 that i was going to use but after reading it just doesnt seem worth the time and money to do the sas with anything less than a d60. and that was all priced out with me already having an axle to use. so make sure you consider the d60 atleast before you decide.

Red97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one, there are a lot of variables involved. do you have all of the easy parts? axles, springs, shocks, tires? are they ready to go? or do they need bearings, gears u-joints? you can spend 1500-3000 just in rebuilding the axles if you want. do you have acess to a welder? fab tools? will you have to purchase everything steering sas kit? all or the extra bs, like brake lines, nuts/bolts, lines will cost a lot plus all of the parts runs. I have under $2500 into my swap. but i have amachiene shop and had the donr truck to take all of the othe rparts from. For most people it cant be done for under $3000-4000. It is worth it if yo are going to keep the truck. IMO

Bowtiewarrior

Reaction score
if you have a 6 lug truck I can see it being a nightmare because its pretty much ford axles you need to use but if you have 8 lug there 2 options the weaker 44HD that comes 8 lug or the 60 and the best part is they both are High pinion so it helps out so much the drive shaft angles and fitment

I agree with red 97 having a donor truck is ideal because here in IL a ford dana 60 can run 400-1500 in any condition and I've purchased F350 4X4's for cheaper that 1500 lol I would have to say yes 1500-4000k sounds about right but I really never looked into it but IFS lifts can't be cheap and even the high end ones still suck solid axle is just so much better for wheeling IMO

Red97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can swap the shafts, knuckles,spindles, hubs off of a 6lug axle onto the ford d44 to make it six lug also. you can also use the corperate 10 bolt front for the parts wich can be had for $100-250 all dayif you dont wheel hard or often you do not absolutly need a d60 unless it is cheap I have had a 10 bolt last with 44's until i got a 60 for the mud truck Just my opinion