So my A/C is shot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like it says my A/C is shot and I need to know where is the best place to buy my new parts. I need a compressor, condensor, the line that goes from the condensor to the dryer that holds the oriface tube, the dryer, and I really hope thats it. I need some advice guys. I don't really want the ****** cheap stuff that won't last, but I don't really want to spend a ton of money either.:nono:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rockauto.com

new ac delco compressor is pn# 1522124A. not too bad a price

but the ac delco condensor pn#1562892 is $240 vs about 100 aftermarket

Maybe some folks will chime in about their aftermarket a/c stuff. A/C = $$$$$$$. Good thing the temps are dropping for you.

Last edited:

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Ive yet to have a problem with my stuff I got for my '96 from Auto Zone, But it was a Reman Delco compressor, which is noticeably loud when it kicks on, and the aftermarket dryer and aftermarket condenser. I had to go GM Parts Dept to get the line between the Condenser and Cab The GM price was $20 and change, Cheap. Not the one from dryer to compressor to condenser. Id say get the Delco comp hes talking about, aftermarket dryer, GM line and aftermarket rest to get what ya need at decent price/quality ratio. You just need a set of gauges, a vacuum pump and necessary Freon and the pour in oil and pour in dye. Do get the dye. It will help you later IF you need to find a leak. I'm pretty sure its like 2-2.5 cans of freon for anything but a crew cab, and 3 cans if its a crew. If it is prior to 1996 then you'll need to get the "retrofit" adapters or take your lines to a shop that can weld on the new fittings to your aluminum lines. I would rather have the welded on as opposed to the adapters simply due to the fact of having two less leak points.

Little tip, Let the vacuum run for close to a half hour to make sure there is no air or moisture in the lines which can degrade performance.
You'll need to jumper the wires that go to the switch on the dryer to get the compressor to kick on for about a can and a half to two cans, then you can run it with the switch til you get the rest in.

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
94 and 95 model's with the R4 compressor were also R 134 A from the factory, anytime I have to replace a line set on a 88-93 I buy one for a 94 or 95 so I don't have to use the retrofit fittings. I also agree use a new AC Delco compressor and aftermarket everything else. From my experience the reman'd comps. from Four Season's really suck.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if you buy a new compressor from RockAuto, O'reillys, Autozone or the dealership. They're all exactly the same part with a different sticker. They're all made by Automotive Compressor Works.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was looking at the delco comp on rock auto but I've never bought anything from there so I wasn't sure if they are a good company or not to deal with. I'm a Kia tech at my local dealership so I have access to a A/C machine no problem.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Then you should have AllData, They tell you all you need to know, if you can find it....

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was looking at the delco comp on rock auto but I've never bought anything from there so I wasn't sure if they are a good company or not to deal with.

Rockauto is good to deal with. They only do drop shipping so everything comes from another wholesaler or directly from the manufacturer. 90% of the time they have the best prices and shipping is relatively cheap.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockauto is good to deal with. They only do drop shipping so everything comes from another wholesaler or directly from the manufacturer. 90% of the time they have the best prices and shipping is relatively cheap.

Good to know. Thanks for the input guys. Very helpful.