Smoothing interior parts for painting ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

That90sKid

Reaction score
I've been looking at some pics and threads of custom interiors for our trucks and was wondering what the process is for smoothing the plastic interior parts such as the dash face plate in order to do a professional paint job on them ? Definently something I wanna do

Thanks !

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots and lots of time lol

start by sanding it down with 180 on the da to knock down most of the texture (if you go with 80 it will shred the plastic. Ruff as you can go is 180), prime it with a 2 part primer. Sand it all down with 320 on the da after its primed and let cure. Prime it a second time since you will break through to the plastic in some parts, then hand sanded it with 320 making sure not to break through in no areas and then paint it and clear it.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is not so much interior but it is still plastic, how did you paint your mirrors so that they dont chip from rocks???

sand the mirrors with 180/320 depending on how bad they are. prime them with the 2 part primer sand them down with 320 then paint and clear.