Smashed rear window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
Yup, I'm an idiot. Was removing the ladder rack from my truck and managed to completely break the rear window. So... Now what? Watch a bunch of YouTube videos and hit up the junkyard? I'm considering at least temporarily just using a piece of plywood, because I actually have one that's a good size, but any brilliant ideas on how to attach it to the back of the cab besides a bunch of screws which would leave ugly holes after? Thanks...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just called around today about this. I have a used piece of factory glass to replace broken one. Nobody wanted to install it. The cheapest that I could find was $200. I did finally locate a guy who will do my used glass for $65 but he wouldn't guarantee that it won't leak.

mistaake

Reaction score
$200 new glass installed? That's less than I thought it would be. Will get some quotes tomorrow. Still curious on alternate solutions. Clear or white plastic from home Depot? Lol

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just replaced mine with a slider. Clean the old adhesive ,lay down a thick bead or urethane and put it up there. You will need to tape it in place for a few hrs. I taped around the opening in case of squeezout but had very little to clean up.

mistaake

Reaction score
New tinted window being installed for $165 including parts and labor this afternoon right at my work. Much cheaper than I expected - Safelite quoted $500. Screw that LOL

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$65 is not a bad price for what's involved and a pro can cruise right through the job. Figure out of that $65 you'd be buying $20 worth of urethane. I've done a few of my own, like said above not difficult, but they never seem to go as smooth or as fas as when the pros do it.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I used a piece of plexiglass and some gorilla tape on my rear window. Could be a temporary solution for you, turned out to be a permanent one for me :p
You must be registered for see images attach

mistaake

Reaction score
Well, turns out they didn't have the tinted one in stock so they put regular. $150 total. Looks perfect, I could not have done it that nice myself I'm sure. Glad I didn't need a temporary solution. I think it took the three guys less than 30m, they even vacuumed the glass out from the inside of the truck and the bed.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Modern vehicles with glued-in glass use that design as part of the structural rigidity/strength of the vehicle. Proper installation is critical...if the surface isn't prepped properly or the wrong adhesive is used, the glass can just pop out in a rollover or crush type crash, offering no protection.

Something to consider in all scenarios when replacing glass like this. #1 leave it to the pros. It's smart, and it's not expensive (unless you go with a ripoff company like Safelite wanting to charge $500.) #2 don't cheap out and get by with a piece of plexi or whatever just stuck in there. #3 think about it when repainting a vehicle, the edge where the glass glues in has to be prepped very carefully so you don't have a new layer of paint that can just pop loose along with the glass instead of holding tight.

Richard