Small-port Bowtie Iron Heads - Intake Manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Yes. I wouldn't do it though.
Any reason why not? I'm considering those, e-tecs, or scoggin dickey modified vortec heads. From what I've read, Hog and Pauly (who appear to be quite knowledgeable) from over on pacificp say any of the three would be a great upgrade...

Just weighing options here.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The stock intake and fueling system will not support the potential of those heads. Heck the intake and fueling don't even support the potential of the stock L31 vortec heads. If I was swapping heads for something better it would be paired up with a better induction system; a GM TPI, or ramjet, or an L31 marine or an L31 marine dual plane TBI setup.

Head to head idle to 4000 rpm I don't see the smallport bowties beating the vortecs bad enough to make sense dollarwise. The vortecs have great low rpm port velocity. I cant see the bowtie making more power until 3500+ rpm. Good vortec castings with matching springs and good full roller rockers with a proper camshaft will be plenty for the L31 intake/spider.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Better off with a marine intake on stock heads but we haven't heard his long term plan yet either. Are the heads just a stepping stone? It's tough to beat Vortecs overall really, the etecs only beat them by a little bit but really do need an intake to shine. If it's cheapish easy power, just throw a marine intake on with a different cam and call it a day unless you're willing to boost.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I guess its the size of the exhaust valves that are the biggest difference.. sure wish I had a single competent shop around me. I'd just have the head cleaned up a bit.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Better off with a marine intake on stock heads but we haven't heard his long term plan yet either. Are the heads just a stepping stone? It's tough to beat Vortecs overall really, the etecs only beat them by a little bit but really do need an intake to shine. If it's cheapish easy power, just throw a marine intake on with a different cam and call it a day unless you're willing to boost.

I thought about it -

I'm throwing around building up the 350, stroking it, or going lq4. I guess its stupid I am trying to make more power out of a lifted, heavy ass truck, with big tires - but its just underwhelming atm. Long term plan for this truck, durable long-term power that's useable. If I can spin/chirp my tires with any level of effort (I know that sounds silly), and be able to comfortably maintain 70-75mph, I'd be satisfied.

I've looked around, but is the marine intake available already modded to work from anyone?

Last edited: