Should I be intimidated by a suspension lift for my '92?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I really, really hate paying people to do things to my truck. I'm thinking I'm gonna want to go with a Rough Country 6" lift soon for my '92, and I want to do it myself. I've never done a full suspension lift - I have installed a coils spacer on the front end of a 4x4 F-150, and also put blocks in the rear of a GMT400 before.

I have a buddy who put a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift on his NBS '04 Z-71 at different times, who also has a shop where me and him could dedicate a couple of hours every night for however long it takes and we have all the tools.

So, has anyone here done their own (stupid question)? What do I need to know? What should I expect?

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Never messed with an IFS lift but most parts in the kit replace factory parts. So with the instructions and being mechanically inclined you should be able to do it know problem. But I it's your dd I'd try to knock it out in a weekend instead of 3-4 nights

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Not a DD at all. I'll probably not mess with it until after hunting season, but after that I don't really care how long it takes us.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Then take your time and do it til you feel it's right. In my opinion when you do it your self you know it's done right and to your liking. Just remember to keep us updated with pics

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as you have some mechanical knowledge threre should be no problem doing the lift yourself. Its just simple bolt ons and reading instructions. I did my superlift in a weekend.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
As long as you have some mechanical knowledge threre should be no problem doing the lift yourself. Its just simple bolt ons and reading instructions. I did my superlift in a weekend.

:word: if you can change your oil you should be able to put a bolt on ifs lift on.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
:word: if you can change your oil you should be able to put a bolt on ifs lift on.

That's what I like to hear. I feel like I do much more difficult things than changing the oil on my two vehicles regularly. I know this isn't nuts and bolts, but I like to figure out things on my own, and most people I know would never try things such as this AVIC install in my Tahoe, but I really do love just figuring sh*t out:

You must be registered for see images attach

Although I am still split between leaving it stock and lifting it. I need to put tires on it anyway, and 35x12.50x15's aren't much more than 285/75-16's, so my 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's at $252 and the lift at $1000 is holding me back...

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
But there is something about those stock saw blade wheels I just love too! Like, I like seeing any GMT400 on the road, but when I see a parked one with the sawblades its just a whole 'nuther level...yeah I'm nuts haha