Shoes hanging? Binding? What could it be.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I've got a banging in the rear :rofl:
Actually it's a clunk/pop/bang/pink/thud/thunk/whatever noise drum brakes make when coming loose after binding.

I did some investigating. By that I mean some no music, low speed, head out the window driving. I applied brakes completely in PRND. In park you can hear the shoes press onto the drum (the light popping you always hear). When I let off they release no problem. In reverse same situation. No problem. In neutral you can hear them apply and release only part of the way if you roll forward. About maybe an inch or two forward bang! (Pop, pink, boom, thud, clunk etc whatever sound you imagine it being.) same thing in drive. It's not a single spot worn in the drum. I can do it numerous times in a row. It also does it any time the brakes are applied sufficiently enough to slow you down even when rolling along at road speeds up to 70. Prolly will above that too but I'd lose my hat if I stuck my head out. So I have something hanging up whilst rolling forward. Works fine backward and stationary with no positive pressure on the drums/shoes. I have one new wheel cylinder passenger side. I have not pinpointed the side said noise is coming from. It's not getting better. My shoes looked to be ok when I had the drums off a few months back. Anyone got any suggestions?

Wheel bearings come with all sorts of other fun noises and symptoms. This is most definitely brakes. Has to be. If it was bearings that had play then ANY positive pressure would make them pop. This is in drive only or moving forward only noise. Reverse has no affect on it. I'm guessing I have either a worn shoe down to metal on one side and its digging into the drum surface enough to hang up and then pop or they are way the hell out of adjustment (loose) and twist so much they are binding up. :shrug: or I have broken worn or missing hardware causing enough movement to bind the shoes on the drums.

Anyone have any input?

My best guess is the latter seeing as they were adjusted a couple months back when I did all that brake work. The shoes have to be binding up. And when there's enough torque to break them loose they go bang and I roll right along again.

Tyler/T-Unit

When my 92 chevy started making noises like that it didn't take very long and the wheel cylinder locked up and the only way i could move the truck was in reverse
:eek:

Tyler/T-Unit

Tyler/T-Unit

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Might be something as simple as re-adjusting the rear shoes. These trucks are fussy on that. They have a bad habit of non-functioning adjusters. I know that with both of mine, if the shoes are not adjusted properly, they also start to make sounds that are not quite right. Similar to what you've described. Gonna have to pull the drums just to take a look no matter what, though.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I have seen the rear shoes wear a groove into the backing plate near the bottom of the rear shoe, where the shoe travels. Over time, and the shoe can hang up on it. the fix would be to grind the ridge down smooth.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ok well the brakes were adjusted a couple months ago. I never adjusted them in the two and a half to three years I had the truck before that. The adjusters were good. I'm thinking it will need new shoes and drums and hardware next fall. If I get the job change I want I may scrap the drum setup for a disc if its a rational possibility.

I will take a look for the groove. The tires are getting rotated this weekend most likely.

Tyler/T-Unit

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Have you pulled the drums to see if maybe a pebble got in there? It's happened to me before.. :shrug:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Pull drums and look for the wear groove on backing plate slide area as previously mentioned.

Brake shoes are spring return after release. If there is anything on the sliding area, they can catch and hang until the drum forces them past it. Like a "pop"....

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's two votes for the groove and it'd make sense since it would only hang up in one direction and not standing still.

Tyler/T-Unit