Shocks for Stock k2500 Suburban with 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I'd like to replace my front shocks soon and am thinking of these Bilstein 24104050

http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-2410...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3CM4NUYDVGV5D

Amazon is telling me they fit, but Amazon has been wrong before about my truck...

I don't tow, but assume I've still got the original shocks and they should be replaced after 17 years (although under 70k miles). I don't mind a firm ride and would like any added stability good shocks might add.

These Bilstein seem like the correct ones to go with? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance dudes!

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Bilsteins with about 20K miles on them. I put new shocks on my truck at about 150K miles and I lifted it at 170K. They are the stock yellow and blue bilsteins if you are interested in them. I don't off road or beat on my truck. I use it to tow our toy hauler. So the shocks are like new other than a small hole in one of the blue boots on the rear shock. I have 4" exhaust and the heat shield I had to protect the boot slid back on the exhaust and burned a small hole before I noticed it. If you are interested I can take some pics of them tomorrow.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those are the correct Bilstein HD part numbers for the front, assuming factory ride height. I have Bilstein HDs on both of my trucks and I like them a lot. You're on the right track for sure. Any particular reason you're not doing the rears at the same time, though? Personally I would do all four at once.

The part number for the rear is 24-024918.

http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-0...UTF8&qid=1463803261&sr=8-1&keywords=24-024198

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
ranchero rs9000 adjustable are what I have in front and love that I can turn a knob and get lighter or stiffer depending on load

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
ranchero rs9000 adjustable are what I have in front and love that I can turn a knob and get lighter or stiffer depending on load

I have some adjustable shocks on one of my other cars (bought it that way) and never actually adjust them...I think I'm simply too lazy to need something like this (plus they ain't cheap).

I have Bilsteins with about 20K miles on them.... If you are interested I can take some pics of them tomorrow.

I'm just gonna go with a new set, but thanks for the offer.

Those are the correct Bilstein HD part numbers for the front, assuming factory ride height. I have Bilstein HDs on both of my trucks and I like them a lot. You're on the right track for sure. Any particular reason you're not doing the rears at the same time, though? Personally I would do all four at once.

The part number for the rear is 24-025683.

http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-025683-4600-Shock-Absorber/dp/B009VTGRQ2

One of the reasons I wasn't going to add a rear pair is that nothing is showing up as fitting. Amazon is telling me that link you posted doesn't fit...I'm gonna assume you know better than Amazon, but I'll still need to research it a bit.

Also, since I don't tow, I figured replacing the front will net me the most gain for the buck, in terms of ride improvement. I figure the rear don't improve the ride nearly as much as the front, but correct me if I'm wrong. You guys all know way more about these trucks than I do.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I checked mine and the fronts are the number you are looking at 24-104050. And my rears are 24-025683. But when I checked on shocks.com they are listing the same fronts as mine, but for the 2500 suburban rear they are listing 24-024198 so I'm not sure what is different about the suburban rear? Different length maybe

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Keep in mind that Rancho are owned/manufactured by Monroe. Not saying they're junk, but they're not exactly a high end replacement. Personally I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Bilsteins but to each their own.

So I checked mine and the fronts are the number you are looking at 24-104050. And my rears are 24-025683. But when I checked on shocks.com they are listing the same fronts as mine, but for the 2500 suburban rear they are listing 24-024198 so I'm not sure what is different about the suburban rear? Different length maybe

You are correct, not sure where I pulled that other part number from earlier. Must have had something else on the brain. These are the correct Bilstein HD rears for a '99 GMC K2500 Suburban, 24-024198. Confirmed on eshocks.com and shock warehouse. I'll edit my earlier post to prevent confusion.

http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-0...UTF8&qid=1463803261&sr=8-1&keywords=24-024198