Shifter Locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a new to me 99 2D Tahoe with a toasted motor. When I brought it home it I could drive it around the yard to make sure everything functioned. I took it out for a rip in the back lot then backed it into the temporary resting place until I can get the motor built. I went out to try and move it and the shifter is locked in park. Engine running and Press the brake pedal still unable to shift.

I did remove the dash bezel to fix a jacked up radio but that's the only thing I really messed with yet.

Anybody know how to bypass the brake lock or why it won't shift?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Search BTSI you can simply pop it off its linkage. I'd reply in detail but at work and typing on phone sucks.

Richard

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
As stated, likely the brake transmission shift interlock. Try unplugging it to get the solenoid to disengage. With the park/neutral position switch in park and the stop lamp switch closed (foot of the brake) the circuit to the BTSI solenoid is completed to lock out the shifter. If unplugging it won't allow to shift, just take it off. Or, check the park position switch and stop lamp switch to see if they are opening with the brake depressed or shifted out of park. The stop lamp switch is part of the brake light switch up under there near the BTSI.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, check the brake light signal which is B+ all of the time. If this is a console shift, the solenoid get sticky from spills of cola, coffee and other juices. The solenoid is very weak and cannot pull the lock bar out, it must needs cleaned. I have done this a dozen of more times. This comes from the Audi vehicles in the 80's that caused this useless feature to be added when people hit the wrong pedal a went thru the garage into the swimming pool. Blame it on them.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, unplugging the solenoid unlocked the shifter. I just don't understand one day it works and the next it doesn't. Not too upset as this is a yard queen until I get my motor built for it but hopefully the rest of the Tahoe stays intact so I can actually drive it when that day comes.

Out of curiosity does the CHMSL bulb play a part in this? I know If that bulb/s burn out the cruise will stop working.