Shattered Headlight Bulb Again..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
As the title states I've gone through 2 low beam bulbs in a month on my passenger side. At $25 a pop for a silverstar bulb I can't keep doing this. When I pull the bulb the glass is shattered. Not sure if voltage surge is causing it to do this or what it is. Any help appreciated, thanks!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'd say moisture is the culprit.
Check the housing right above the low beam bulb. Those Silvania's run pretty hot, & the DRL's, even with the reduced voltage can cause the housing to warp enough that cracks will form there. Just my experience. Silicone over the holes will fix that up, but you may have to go to a different brand of bulb.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I'm guessing the moisture as well. You could always do a wet test, and take the housing out and dunk in water. It happened in my fiance's Acura. But the crack only formed when the headlight heated and expanded the crack. When it got cool enough to check, the crack pretty much sealed back up again.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks guys. Sunday morning I'll pull it, once again, and check for moisture. I noticed a small amount of condensation a while back so I'd imagine its the culprit. Gotta love our headlights lol I had hoped maybe silvania would replace the bulb under warranty but I doubt they will under these circumstances.