SES Light acting funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took in for bi-annual CA smog check. It failed due to the SES light not working properly. Turn key to on position, SES light comes on as intended. Start motor and light goes off, no codes. If you turn off then right back to on position, the SES light does not come back on. If you turn off and wait about 10 seconds to turn on then the SES light comes on as intended. For that little 10 second delay, because the light does not function if you turn off then right back on, it fails the function test. Emissions portions flies no problem. Anyone ever had this problem before? I have checked all fuses and replaced the bulb.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never paid attention to mine but this sure makes me glad Michigan doesn't require testing.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Had a guy on another forum I'm on from California replace his O2 sensor with an aftermarket that he had to splice into the wiring. Worked fine, no codes, but he failed inspection because he "tampered" with OEM. Then he went and bought an OEM connector and still failed because it wasn't original to the vehicle. He ended up selling it because of the hassle.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've replaced all 4 O2 sensors, passed fine a couple years ago. It passes the emissions part just fine. It's the stupid delay from off to on when the light pops on is what's killing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this one of those things that there's absolutely no chance you could just take it to another shop where the tech isn't quite as much of a stickler? Because that's my first instinct...

I know nothing about CA and its evil rules and regulations, though.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about trying another. I've been to 2, one is the guy I've brought all my cars to for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk