SEM paint question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i know they dont make a 100% match color to my truck.. i have the tan interior in my truck but my question is what color is close to whats in there now and if i buy a grey door panel and spray it tan will it look ok? never dyed parts before so i want to paint every piece in my truck to make it look all new again

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Last edited:

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just find tan door panels, you'll be better off in the long run. The hard plastics will be much more durable as far as dying goes. That sem stuff goes on pretty nice with a paint gun. ( clean all parts with comet and a red scotchbrite. Go to a local body shop supply, they usually have the color charts there.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i want to redo everything to make it look new again some of the stuff is alittle fadded...

i like the palomino color so i just need to know if i spray the color on my tan will it stick and come out nice

sewlow clean your PM's out its full lol.. tried to message you and cant..

Last edited:

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know ive ask this question once or 5 times lol but what is better the SEM or a dye? SEM is saying it isnt a dye.. where is and who makes the best back to OEM look stuff? i want the inside to be close to OEM as i can get other then the seat.. all new and clean looking lol i can get the SEM paint cheap $10 a can but if there is something alot better i want to go that way.. dont want any peeling or chipping a year down the road still want to put some shine on the dash with out it jacking up the paint or dye..

also can i go a shade or two darker on the color with out any problems?

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
I tried using the SEM spray dye on my faded headliner to see how it would look and it did not work well. I was even going to do the door panels as well, but after seeing the results from the headliner I recovered them and then found a clean set of grey ones.
You must be registered for see images attach

I did my whole interior in SEM and for the hard plastics such as the dash and dash inserts as well as the new armrests pads I bought it worked very well and has a durable finish.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back when I owned my Caprice....

Members of the ImpalaSSForum would regularly replace their dash pads and door panels with ones that weren't cracked. Of course, the odds of finding them in your color were very rare.

I've seen people pull door panels and a dash pad from a blue caprice when they needed red, or vise versa, and then they installed Buick Roadmaster seats in their Caprices. Used SEM dye for it all, and if you didn't know Caprices never had seats that well padded, you'd never know it wasn't factory.

Also stroker, my old GMC had hat tan interior I found a combination of Saddle Tan and Light Oak to be spot on.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Body shop supply houses that sell SEM will custom mix for you. I had to have a pint made to match the door panels when I changed my interior to Cognac (tan, whatever you want to call it)

The one on the right is the original lower color. Both tops were re sprayed they were brown, as can be seen by the part that gets coverd by the cloth trim panel.

Last edited:

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ that looks damn good.. making me feel a little easier to go for it.. now to find a color that is close to what I have.. thinking alittle darker..

What color do yall think?