Screw tbi electronics, I'm goin carb SOON

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Well as the title states, I'm sayin **** this!

All information I've found is for automatic transmissions. As far as I know since I'll be running hei and carb, I wouldn't think I'd even need the knock sensors, esc, iac, tbi dizzy and all of the other junk.

Here is the parts list so far...

Weiand 8170 intake for 87+ sbc
Holley 12-803bp fpr
Holley throttle stud part#20-38.
Hei dizzy
Square bore carb
Fuel pressure gauge
Various Hoses and fittings

Any clue what I'm missing to run on a manual transmission and how I will keep my speedo working? I want to keep all of my gushes operating and such. Any information or links to swaps with a manual transmission?

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Does anybody have pictures of the elongated intake bolt holes on a pre 87 intake that has been modded to work on tbi heads? I'm considering this since it would be cheaper, but then I think more fab work would need to be done to retain stock accessory mounting.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why not pick up a summit brand or pro products intake since they are cheaper?

Also somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the vss is in the t-case in my auto should be the same in your manual so speedo should work fine.

I feel ya though, very often considered doing the same to mine, still do.

Also for hei distributor check out the skip white ones on ebay for line $60 I've heard alot of good things about them and they are all new.

Also if you get like an edelbrock carb they have their own throttle stud for the throttle cable.

Now on another note, your block could be like mine, setup for a mech. fuel pump, and if so you just need to reroute the fuel lines to it, buy a pump and a push rod for it, then use mech. pump, you can leave the in tank pump and pull right thru it, just unplug the fuel pump fuse and relay, my monte caro was done that way.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
As far as the Weiand 8170, it's the cheapest I've found for 87+ sbc. To avoid working the bolt holes to fit the tbi heads.

Would the ecm need to be in place for the vss to signal?

Is the cts in the intake for the gauge or ecm? I would like to keep the temp gauge working.

I'll have to check out skip white!

Hoping my block is prepped for a mechanical pump, the afpr was added to the list as a worst case scenario.

Not set on a carb yet, hopefully I will find a used 4bbl cheap.

With my engine being close to stock image thinking somewhere in the 500 to 650 cfm range? I don't wanna over carb it. It's only. 030 OVER and rv cam...

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Ig memory serves me temp for gauge is drivers side of head
I would go with a afpr more dependable. Also I would look into a 500 to 550. havent done it but thats what I came up with a xouple years back when I wanted the same thing
Adam

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep intake cts is for tbi fuel and cold starts, the ds head is for gauge.

Then there' san oil sending unit for the gauge and one for fuel injection.

Actually I'd think the computer would have to be in place for it to work. The speedo that is, I had never thought of it, but again just remove the fuel pump fuse and relay and then suck fuel thru it.

definitely 600 cfm and under is enough carb.

edelbrock, best carb ever, quadjet is just quadrajunk to me. I aint a big fan of holley either.

edelbrock is very simple to rebuild and tune even for somebody with no prior carb building experisnce.

The summit intake is about $160 I think for 87 and up, but honestly tons of the older ones say they work and you can mod them, so I think I would try it to save some coin. I know my weiand intake for an 86 and older sbc had something in a bag with it for 87 and newer I'm pretty sure. No clue what it is lol.