Scanning ECM Too Often

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, can you damage the ECM by scanning for OBD1 codes too often? I've recently began checking for codes about 2 months ago after the check engine light came on for the first time. Since that day, I've gotten 4 different codes and various problems. I have fixed the issues and scan for codes maybe every other day as preventative maintenance. It just seems that the more I scan, the more issues I have with my truck. What do you guys think?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not everyone is on the forum in the middle of the day, don't get upset that you didn't get an immediate answer, especially since not everyone is familiar with how ECMs are built or function.

no, you won't hurt anything by scanning the ECM for codes on a frequent basis. if you get into specifics, yes there is a read/write limit on the memory module, but its not anything that you'll ever surpass just checking for codes....someone I read on a tuning forum calculated the read/write limit on an OBDII PCM once and in order to surpass it you'd need to be reading and flashing the memory module multiple thousands of times per day, for several hundred years or something like that, nothing anyone would reach in 99.99+% of circumstances. Most likely the problems you're getting are simply related to age, an OBD1 vehicle is at LEAST 18 years old at this point in time, if not older, its hard to say since you didn't mention any specific problems you're encountering.