Rust Repairable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianS

Reaction score
Truck is a 1999 K1500 Suburban with 298K miles. I replaced all of my brake lines this past weekend and saw more rust than expected on the back half of the frame along with rear leaf hanger area. Is this repairable? I love the truck and still have a bunch of new parts around to install as well as a 383, but I'm wondering if it's worth the time and effort if the frame is shot. No real issues on the front half.

Here are some pics. The frame brace looks to be pretty bad and much worse than anywhere else. Almost like a sacrificial anode on a boat.

You must be registered for see images attach

The hole at the bottom is where I pushing on it with my thumb and it went through the lower hanger. Yikes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd poke at it a bit especially near the spring hanger, in the 4th picture, but that's the only place that looks like it might be hiding anything really bad, to me. If its solid, just clean it up as best you can and treat it with paint and primer, or Chassis Saver, or something.... alteast use some Fluid Film and keep it coated.

Terrys97

Reaction score
I might would be concerned with the leaf spring area and a good welder could make it safe in my opinion. Not all welders will touch frames for liability issues. I would take a hammer with a point on the end and really peck around good on the rust. You may or may not like the results you get but be honest with yourself and see how solid the frame is. Does not look that bad to me all in all.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worst case scenario frame swap:) then you can transfer everything and slap in the 383 and have plenty of working room including making sure every inch is coated so that frame doesnt rot:)

BrianS

Reaction score
Worst case scenario frame swap:) then you can transfer everything and slap in the 383 and have plenty of working room including making sure every inch is coated so that frame doesnt rot:)
I'd love to swap in a nice clean frame but that might be pushing my luck with the HOA. I was walking the line after replacing the transmission in my driveway and later breaking in that 383 on an engine run stand also in my driveway. It sounded great echoing off the houses and thumbs up from the guys... no so much from the wives. Oh well.

I might would be concerned with the leaf spring area and a good welder could make it safe in my opinion. Not all welders will touch frames for liability issues. I would take a hammer with a point on the end and really peck around good on the rust. You may or may not like the results you get but be honest with yourself and see how solid the frame is. Does not look that bad to me all in all.
I know a fabricator in town who might be able to help. I'll try the hammer pecking or pick up one of those air power descaling tools and face shield and have at it.

I'd poke at it a bit especially near the spring hanger, in the 4th picture, but that's the only place that looks like it might be hiding anything really bad, to me. If its solid, just clean it up as best you can and treat it with paint and primer, or Chassis Saver, or something.... alteast use some Fluid Film and keep it coated.
I've never heard of Fluid Film. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like I can back away from the ledge and save this thing.