Rust in thermostat housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a marine intake and just got around to messing with it when I started to notice the thermostat housing is badly rusted, I’m hoping it’s salvageable but it looks like it’s too far gone to to anything, opinions?
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What? Its smoked. Are you trying to use that?
I hope youre not trying to use that on a boat.
That is all the way fuckered up.
Easy, easy deal my freind..
Here is how it works.
Dont blow up your engine because you thought you could save 10 bucks.
Did you sneak that ****** off of the Titanic?
Are you high?
Must be a bullshit post

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd clean up the thermostat flange and soak that *******. May need to skim the mating surfaces too. What Thinger doesn't realize is how rare those intakes are. They're worth saving if it's remotely possible.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Do you have a lot of experience with acid soaking? I'd be leery of removing good metal. I think if I had the dollars I'd use Evaporust or if not, maybe molasses.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was mine, and they were not too busy at my former employer. It would be a perfect canidate for plastic media blast then do a glass bead blast. Rougher beads for steel iron products. If not that I've used evaporust with real good results. Get some small steel brushes a jug of Zep 505. Verystrong industrial degreaser, hot water. Hit hard for little while. Rinse, stuff it in the Evaporust overnight or longer check it once in while. Thats worked for oldtools from fleamarkets, other small restored parts. Good luck. You can now get 30% white vinegar. Before was only up to 5 to 8%. It's an Acid just not as dangerous as Sulphiracs. Fumes will make you gag, or light your nose hairs on fire. Use ventilation.The 30% I placed a few rustry bad powdery bad bolts just to test. Wow reacted right now. So it was chewing the rust off the bolts. Left overnight. Got them out. Brushed with soap and warm water. Then rinsed in a baking soda water rinse to absolutely neutralize any acid hiding anywhere. Worked for me. Good luck.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'd clean up the thermostat flange and soak that *******. May need to skim the mating surfaces too. What Thinger doesn't realize is how rare those intakes are. They're worth saving if it's remotely possible.

Didn't know these were a thing. What makes them special? These TBI or Vortec era? Any more photos out there?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Another thing.....make sure that's actually rusy and not some dried crap. Marine intakes in general sometimes have brass in the coolant passages.