Round u-bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeck11

Reaction score
I just bought 3 in blocks for my 98 Chevy ext cab and in the instructions for the blocks it says the round u-bolts should never be used in a square u-bolts application. The kit has rounds ones and the truck has square ones but in the instructions the new bolts wrap around the axle. Will these bolts work? And if they do what do I use for a bracket on the top of the leaf springs?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
They will work, but you will need a plate on top of the axle, I've wondered if anyones used the bottom plate ontop of the axle? not sure if that would work or not.

jeck11

Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing. How thick of steel do you think will work if I made my own?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that bottom plate won't work up top with it being round. I've seen it used on axle flips up top tho.

I'd find one off a suqarebody truck 73-87 they are on top and use round u bolts.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
if you make your own i'd go with 3/8 or 1/2" plate. takes a little longer to drill but then you never have to worry about it. or as swims said from a squarebody.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
plates are less then a 1/4 thick stock, so I'd think 1/4 would be fine, however they usually have bends in them which would add strength. A flat piece no bends I'd say for sure 3/8 or 1/2. Might check on some flip kit companies like djm or something maybe belltech I've seen flat plats that come in flip kits.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Even though the stock plates are thinner than what was recommended, they also have a certain curve to them, strengthening their ability against bending(rippled metal is stronger than flat metal)....so unless you have a mandrel/press to put opposing curves into your plate steel, I'd go with a thicker flat steel. 1/4" may do for toodling around in a 2wd....but ya gotta look at the application and how rough he is on his truck. There's no such thing as overkill on suspension materials........unless ofcourse you're on a strip :p