Rotational grind noise???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At around 40mph and let off the gas, I hear a loud rotational grind that continues until speed decreases, then when I give it a little gas the noise starts again then disappears with increased speed. Sounds like it’s coming from the middle to rear of truck. Differential, transmission? Differential fluid was just changed‍♂️. Have you had this issue and what was the fix? Any thoughts? 99’ K1500 Classic thanks.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you tell us if the truck was fine before? When did it start? How many miles? Everything is original?

Did you just buy it?

What year/cab configuration is it? 1500?

What did the differential fluid look like? Did you happen to look at the ring gear for any wear? It's pretty easy to check for backlash with diff cover off.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just started happening. I could hear noise slightly before but it’s gotten worse. 254k on the clock and stock. When replacing diff fluid and cover, the gears appeared to look good, however I’m no pro. Thx

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
So as Stuta said. whats the vehicle details?

I know on the Autotrac models equipped with the NP246 Transfer case theres a wear problem where the Pump eats into the housing of the transfer case. What I would define as your problem but that was my issue . yours could be different.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to ask about transfer case, I hadn't seen if it was a C or K series. I was going to suggest a sprag in the transmission. I think there could be chatter marks developed in the races and then the elements start making noise.

But the transfer case could also be the culprit.

I would say remove rear driveshaft and spin it to that specific RPM/MPH. That will remove the differential from the possible problems, and you may be able to narrow down where the noise is coming from.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Have any of the u joints been replaced? My Burb is 2wd, but that noise sounds similar to what mine did last year when the u joints went bad( finally wore out after 200K).