Road trip ahead..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title states, ive got a road trip ahead of me next month. The total mileage on the trip is roughly 1k, about 15 hours of drive time round trip. My ol gmc is my daily and ill be using her on the trip.
First question, are these trips reliable on long trips?
What do i need to specifically make sure is taken care of before i head out to make sure its running top notch?
And any road trip advice is always good!

Sent From My Galaxy S3

Last edited:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
get out and move around every couple of hours to keep yourself awake. My parents took mine when I was 2 all the way to houston .But obviously it was newer and a shorter distance.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil is good, air filter and fuel filter is good, check all fluids and tires, diffs and inspect brakes.

Bring extra coolant, oil, trans fluid, tools to change a tire, blocks to use under jack.

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trip is about 500miles one way, plan to drive there hang out wih family for the weekend and head back on a monday. That should help make it easier on old girl if i give her a few days to recover. I gotta drive thru the rest of TN, all of KY and most of IN. My hometown is nearly in michigan, bout 40min from the state line. I know the truck will be good on flat interstate, main worry is going up and down mountains. Im mot sure how will the drivetrain will like it.

Sent From My Galaxy S3

BIGBLAZER

Reaction score
I just took my 93 blazer on a roughly 1500 mile trip and the ol girl never missed a beat between 75 on the interstate and up and downs and windy back roads of the northwest tip of minnesota.. and to top it off i got between 14.5-16 mpg which i dont think is too bad for a 19 year old truck with a 6in and 35s.. but i do have a 5 speed and 4.56 gears.. just did the basic tune up things before the trip (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, and oil change) also carried extra coolant, oil, gear lube, u-joint but luckily never had to touch any of it... but i trust my truck and know it well enough having owned it since 05 to feel confident in it making it.... not saying i would just jump in any truck and make a long trip.. i have driven trucks that are 7-8 years old that i would not make a 200 mile trip in let alone a 1500 mile trip.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have ran mine to Carlisle PA for the past 3 summers with no mechanical issues at all other than a faulty HVAC control. 1600 miles round trip and it does great, even through the mountains of MD

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats good information to hear, makes me feel a lot more comfortable.
Todah i went ahead and did a rear diff service and filled it with fresh gear oil. One thing to cross off the list already

Sent From My Galaxy S3

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took my 93 blazer on a roughly 1500 mile trip and the ol girl never missed a beat between 75 on the interstate and up and downs and windy back roads of the northwest tip of minnesota.. and to top it off i got between 14.5-16 mpg which i dont think is too bad for a 19 year old truck with a 6in and 35s.. but i do have a 5 speed and 4.56 gears.. just did the basic tune up things before the trip (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, and oil change) also carried extra coolant, oil, gear lube, u-joint but luckily never had to touch any of it... but i trust my truck and know it well enough having owned it since 05 to feel confident in it making it.... not saying i would just jump in any truck and make a long trip.. i have driven trucks that are 7-8 years old that i would not make a 200 mile trip in let alone a 1500 mile trip.

Sadly ive only owned my truck for about 6 months. I have taken care of it to the best of my ability, and i do have some documentation of what the PO did to her. Hopefully our combined efforts lead to a save trip.
Im shooting for 18mpg. Im running 275-60-15 wheels, 3.08 gears and my 700 has been rebuilt with corvette servo etc. I hold good oil pressure, 30 at idle. 40-50 doing 70mph. Seems like my motor is healthy

Sent From My Galaxy S3

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What rpms do you run at 70 in OD? I bet you would get better MPG running in 3rd with those gears. I had 2.73's in my old 88 2wd drive and got better in 3rd

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What rpms do you run at 70 in OD? I bet you would get better MPG running in 3rd with those gears. I had 2.73's in my old 88 2wd drive and got better in 3rd

Not to sure. Ive got the moonie gauges in my gmc, so no tach. I need to get an aftermarket one and install it but im not sure the proper steps to go about it. I used a computer thing and it said i should be at 2k @ 70mph in OD. So roughly 2300-2500 in 3rd? Wouldnt that stress my motor running high rpms for so long?

Sent From My Galaxy S3