Ring Gear Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblu78

Reaction score
I bought a 94 Blazer that I have been trying to grab for a while from a friend of mine. He sold it to me when the rear end decided to go out. So I pulled the diff cover to find that ALL.. yes ALL, of the bolts that hold the ring gear had backed out of the carrier and dropped. The bolts and the threads are perfect as well as the threads in the carrier. The ring gear is not in terrible shape but the pinion gear is heavily worn but I see no visible damage to the carrier. How the hell does this happen? The gasket was sealed and tight, showing no signs of being removed before so I am sure that it hasn't been tampered with. I know my buddy didn't have it looked at. I just find it very odd. Any thoughts?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The factory uses threadlocker on the ring gear bolts. Why they backed out, I have no idea. But if it was repaired somehwere since 94, someone may not have used threadlocker

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say this has to have been apart before and either someone didnt set proper back lash or torque everything accordingly Or they didnt use new loc tite on the threads :(

Either way sounds like you are into either a rebuild or replacement.. Ide rebuild it myself!

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have personally dealt with this before. Couldn't tell you why it happened but mine did the same thing, only I had half of them broke off into the gear and the other half were loose or completely backed out. Didn't mess anything up, rather than my pocket book from buying new bolts, but I checked my backlash then just retorqued all then new bolts back to spec and buttoned it up. Been running for two years with no issues...

Bit of history: My rear-end was rebuilt four years prior to this happening. New Richmond R&P, an Eaton locker, and new bolts.

this is a picture of mine after I took the cover off.
You must be registered for see images attach