Revitalizing my AC system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 98 Chevy K1500 about a year ago now. I went without AC last summer because I didnt drive it much. Now, its my daily and I wanted to see if I could get it going again. I know it needs a o-ring somewhere (according to the last owner). Where should I start to get the system back up and running cold?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work on semi trailer reefers for a living so the best thing i can suggest is fill the system with dry nitrogen and listen or use soapy water to find a leak. Im sure that you do not have access to all of the required tools and supplies to do that. Next best thing is to get an ac seal kit from a parts store and replace all the orings on the system. Yes it will take some time but in the end you will know that all the orings are in good shape. Thats just my 2 cents.

Baighn92

Reaction score
I did this with my truck, new compressor, hoses, dryer.....and then, a year later, the evaporator developed a bad leak and now I have to remove my whole dashboard to get to it. sucks.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Living in northern VT, not having AC isnt the worst. But, if I can fix it easily enough, why not?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A leaky O-ring is usually accompanied by a very greasy/oily connection.
This is true unless everything has been washed and the ac hasn't been run. We get stuff that is low on refrigerant and is not greasy and oily. It makes it hard to find leaks that way with out the use of leak soap.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only way to find a leak, is to have the system charged. They make a die that is in freon just to find leaks. To charge the system, correctly you will need a set a gauges. You may be able to rent a set @ Auto Zone. Problem is. once you find the leak, then you have to remove the freon to fix the leak, if that is all that is wrong with the system. You also need a capture system to retrieve the freon. That is why smdk2500 posted about the dry nitrogen. Thing is, nitrogen will only help to find leaks. You can not tell how well or even if the system is working. For this you will have to use freon.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only way to find a leak, i s to have the system charged. They make a die that is in freon just to find leaks. To charge the system, correctly you will need a set a gauges. You may be able to rent a set @ Auto Zone. Problem is. once you find the leak, then you have to remove the freon to fix the leak, if that is all that is wrong with the system. You also need a capture system to retrieve the freon. That is why smdk2500 posted about the dry nitrogen. Thing is, nitrogen will only help to find leaks. You can not tell how well or even if the system is working. For this you will have to use freon.
Correct. Just remember do not and I repeat do not run it with nitrogen in the system for any reason. I don't know how quickly the high pressure switches will shut the compressor off but you can severely damage it due to nitrogen being considered a non condensable. Also after you find the leak and fix it you will have to put a vacuum pump on the system to remove any and all air, moisture and non-condensables out of the system before you charge it with refrigerant. The dry nitrogen will help in removal of moisture. If you don't do this it will not work correctly. I don't know if you can rent vacuum pumps at parts stores or not. Im lucky and have several at my disposal.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correct. Just remember do not and I repeat do not run it with nitrogen in the system for any reason. I don't know how quickly the high pressure switches will shut the compressor off but you can severely damage it due to nitrogen being considered a non condensable. Also after you find the leak and fix it you will have to put a vacuum pump on the system to remove any and all air, moisture and non-condensables out of the system before you charge it with refrigerant. The dry nitrogen will help in removal of moisture. If you don't do this it will not work correctly. I don't know if you can rent vacuum pumps at parts stores or not. Im lucky and have several at my disposal.
X2