Researching headlights gave me a headache...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
So I decided a couple of weeks ago that I'm going to make a change in the headlights on the dually. I bought all new lights when I got the truck including clear headlights. They don't have anti-glare caps. The stock 9005's and 9006's in those housings are just not cutting it even after doing the 4 hi mod. I want more and whiter light. I think I'm just to used to "modern" lights in my other vehicles. So I start researching here and other places. What a confusing mess. HID's, LED's, HIR's, upgraded halogens, cut off points, glare caps, head sinks, lumens, color temps, and on and on......sheesh. Everybody has a different opinion and there are just so many choices to wade through.

Decided that I'd just go with the HIR's. Ordered the Phillips 9011's and 9012's today from Home Depot. I'll report back when I get them. Why is something that seems should be so simple so complicated?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did your new housings come with bulbs by chance? If so and you're using those, they're most likely cheap Chinese garbage. I went through this with the Anzo housings that I put in my Suburban. Switched to some GE Nighthawk halogens and it was a pretty amazing difference.

Either way, good luck finding something you like! One thing to be aware of with the HIRs is that the low beams have no glare cap painted onto the bulbs like the factory style halogens do, so you might annoy oncoming traffic a little more.

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
I was hoping to use the crystal housings I have already but I also don't want to be "that guy" with the lights that everyone else hates. No one flashes me now even on 4 hi and they are aimed correctly.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You'll be throwing twice the candle power with the HIR's. If you get flashed, please get new housings.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think rock auto has them that alot of people get. I don't have them but iirc

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running HIRs in headlights that don't have glare caps. I tried to add glare caps to the tips of the HIRs using high temp paint. The paint only lasted a few minutes before it baked off.

I was very worried about causing issues to other drivers but so far, no one has flashed their lights at me. Knock on wood.

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
I'm running HIRs in headlights that don't have glare caps. I tried to add glare caps to the tips of the HIRs using high temp paint. The paint only lasted a few minutes before it baked off.

I was very worried about causing issues to other drivers but so far, no one has flashed their lights at me. Knock on wood.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try with my existing housings and see what happens.

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
Installed the HIR's today. Drove around for quite a while tonight. Very significant difference with the HIR's. Much whiter light and much more light, I adjusted fairly low to start. I really do not want to be that guy blinding oncoming traffic. Did not get a single flash from any other drivers. So far so good.