Replacing the upper A arms.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an alternative to renting the tool, HF sells an $80 press kit. I have used it a few times and it seems to be holding up. I haven't uses it on my ball joints yet but that's the plan.
If the new ball joints bolt-in, there's no press needed.

I guess the forged lower arms have press-fit joints. My '88 has bolt-ins top and bottom. Knocking the rivets out is the worst part of the job; if the rivets are already gone (joints replaced before) the job is E-A-S-Y.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the new ball joints bolt-in, there's no press needed.

I guess the forged lower arms have press-fit joints. My '88 has bolt-ins top and bottom. Knocking the rivets out is the worst part of the job; if the rivets are already gone (joints replaced before) the job is E-A-S-Y.

There's stamped arms with forged bits that hold the lower ball joints and fully forged lower control arms in some of the later trucks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you just unload the T bars to replace the lower bushings?

Not me. I'm too lazy.

Put jack-stands under the frame, disconnect sway bar if the truck has one. Disconnect shock absorber. Disconnect ball joint stud from steering knuckle. (getting the ball joint stud unhooked from the knuckle is a fair amount of work--gotta pull the brake caliper to disconnect the CV shaft.) Zip out two bolts from control arm at the bushings. Control arm can be pried far enough out from the chassis to melt out the rubber bushings, and install Polyurethane inserts.

Cram the control arms back into the frame brackets, torque bolts, connect knuckle, shock, sway bar, have a beer.

I never touch the torsion bar adjustment.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Min
Not me. I'm too lazy.

Put jack-stands under the frame, disconnect sway bar if the truck has one. Disconnect shock absorber. Disconnect ball joint stud from steering knuckle. (getting the ball joint stud unhooked from the knuckle is a fair amount of work--gotta pull the brake caliper to disconnect the CV shaft.) Zip out two bolts from control arm at the bushings. Control arm can be pried far enough out from the chassis to melt out the rubber bushings, and install Polyurethane inserts.

Cram the control arms back into the frame brackets, torque bolts, connect knuckle, shock, sway bar, have a beer.

I never touch the torsion bar adjustment.

I already have the moog,loaded upper arms and new cam bolt sets.Probally just replace the lower ball joints along w the tie rods. I assume the lower ball joints could be unbolted to replace the lower arm bushings afterward if I need too?