Removing/cleaning under factory flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys, I'd like to remove and clean my 96 flares... To also protect from future rust I was thinking of using rust prevention paint, then Reinstalling the flares back on... Also, my wheel wells are currently pretty clean, what have you guys sprayed on them that you like for winter protection, etc? Thanks..

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I've had fabulous luck using Rustoleum heavy rust primer followed by a top coat, as compared to POR 15 and Chassis Saver, that always flakes off on me or rust's anywya.

slick96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If rust has already started it is almost impossible to get it stopped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks... It's an Arizona clean truck so I was wanting to get something on the inner wheel well lip inside, and around the wheel well outer lip that's under where the flare goes... Just trying to be proactive as I'm keeping this truck and it will be driven in winter, etc... I'll report back once I've applied this rustoleum product... Thanks guys

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've never messed with the front flares on a 1500 but if they're installed the same way they are on a 3500HD, you've got the small screws around the outside edge going into the fender lip...easy...but there's also like 6 PAL nuts though the backside of the fender into studs that are hooked into the back of the flare. They're 10mm and you can reach most of them through extra access holes in the fender, but 1 or 2 you cannot reach without fender removal. :(

Richard

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
As Richard said, there are nuts on the inside of the fender that is a pain to get to (damn near impossible to get a few of them) if you are in AZ you don't need to worry about the rust

camaroman101

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys, I'd like to remove and clean my 96 flares... To also protect from future rust I was thinking of using rust prevention paint, then Reinstalling the flares back on... Also, my wheel wells are currently pretty clean, what have you guys sprayed on them that you like for winter protection, etc? Thanks..

Is there currently rust on under them? If not use something like Waxoyl

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Mine had previously been replaced, they just used 2 sided tape on them, I just undid the screws underneath and pealed them off lol.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No rust that I can see, but since I'm getting this thing ready for winter here, I thought I'd take them off, clean underneath them, etc.. and replace after I paint/amsoil the area to PREVENT any rust from them being sandy, etc... I've also ordered the kit from fluid film to spray underneath and in rockers, 1/4's .... Thanks.