Recreating my highschool truck, the way I always wanted it to be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a wicked project you have planned. I have the same sort of plan for my 91. Had the truck since 96, graduated high school in 94. Wanna make it pretty much like the trucks I drooled over in the mags and seen running around town. I still remember being in awe the first time I saw a set of 17"s on one!!!
Keep the updates coming, and I'll definitely check the channel.
yours is what they’re drooling over now, time flys ....

Next round of updates is uploading now!

got the radio installed, the tierod kit done, and installed some new window seals. The console I got didn't fit, and the seatbelt latch sticks. oh well.

A seat is on its way, along with some speakers to compliment the new head unit.

what should I tackle next? I think the exhaust would be pretty strait forward.
Long tubes, high flow cats (or none?) and a cat back flowmaster setup or something.
dual tips for sure!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nice, hi flow cats, dual tips.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yours is what they’re drooling over now, time flys ....
Just went to a car show today. There was a sweet 89 stepside with billet 15's, phantom billet grill and a 6.2LS with a 6 speed auto....kid was in his 20s!!!! Nice to see the next generation taking up the "hobby/lifestyle". There were lots of old guys with show cars, but more young bucks with dailys I would have killed for.

@Beason.....I have full length headers, no cats and dual turbos. 2 1/4". It has a nice rumble at idle. When you "get on it" she barks nice, but settled down nice on the highway. No cats because back then there was no aftermarket ones less than $500. Nowadays I probably would throw some on.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan to try to do the exhaust myself, and i dont weld so...

current setup is as follows.
stock manifolds, crossover, and single in, single out cat.
single in dual out flowmaster muffler with dual side exit after the passenger tire.

Need ideas for:

Full headers and crossover pipe. i would like to stay true dual, if i can squeeze a X pipe in there that would be a plus i think...
high flow cat(s) that will fit the factory location, or fit with the true duals
some sort of muffler, or cat back system. my old truck had glass packs and true duals, it was loud, but in a popping obnoxious way. I want to FEEL the exhaust. I can feel my vette in my chest and i love it.
dual tips out to the rear bumper.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Skip the single plane when you do the engine stuff, a dual plane will make it a better driver and produce more torque under the curve.

As far as exhaust...if 400hp is the number you're shooting for, it would be far simpler to buy some mid-length headers and matching y-pipe run a single 3" back to a muffler with dual outlets and then go dual out the back/side/whatever from there. Lighter, same power, and less $$ in components.

Kudos to you for building your high school dream pickup! My youngest daughter drove a '91 C1500 RCSB Sport all the way through highschool, it was a 305/5-speed, my wife was pretty sure I bought it for myself, haha.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, i do want to be budget mindful, but i also want the sound to be right. a low rumble that makes it hard to breath, and rattles stuff on the shelf in the garage.

would mid length me better than long tubes? i heard LT were better for low end torque.
i would like to keep a cat, just for not having to smell exhaust
what muffler would give me a good tone? mangaflow? the flowmaster i have sounds great, its just not very loud.

can i get all this stuff that would just bolt/clamp together or would it be better to source the components and take it to a shop to plumb it?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would mid length me better than long tubes? i heard LT were better for low end torque.
Long tubes are better all around, if you have room for them (our trucks easily do), and can tolerate them.

What muffler? What are you looking for? Tone? Power? Noise reduction?

I have duals with a cats and a crossover and I'm running two Cherry Bomb Salute mufflers. They are loud, but I haven't been pulled over yet because the tone is pretty deep. I referenced Engine Masters' Cheap Muffler Shootout and spreadsheeted the dB difference and the horsepower loss - you need access to motortrendondemand to see the unedited version of the video that shows all the numbers. The Salutes had the most noise attenuation before the big power dropoff. The next best mufflers lost something like 10 more horsepower. I've since bought an additional two-in-two-out Saulte to put behind the rear axle to try and quiet it down a little more.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long tubes are better all around, if you have room for them (our trucks easily do), and can tolerate them.

What muffler? What are you looking for? Tone? Power? Noise reduction?

I have duals with a cats and a crossover and I'm running two Cherry Bomb Salute mufflers. They are loud, but I haven't been pulled over yet because the tone is pretty deep. I referenced Engine Masters' Cheap Muffler Shootout and spreadsheeted the dB difference and the horsepower loss - you need access to motortrendondemand to see the unedited version of the video that shows all the numbers. The Salutes had the most noise attenuation before the big power dropoff. The next best mufflers lost something like 10 more horsepower. I've since bought an additional two-in-two-out Saulte to put behind the rear axle to try and quiet it down a little more.
My old truck was loud, but it was crackly loud, I've heard it referred to a cis or card in spokes sound. Like a card in your bicycle spokes.

I want a low tone rumble, more base sound. I assume the larger the pipes the lower the sound. I plan to do some good engine mods so will need the larger pipes to let it breath. Do you have a link to this research?

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just watched this video and loved the sound of the Manga flow so until they floored it. Deep and roudy. The last one sounds pretty good but it's single to dual.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next progress video is up! got the alinement done, tint is complete, replacement drivers seat and seat belts! I also got the pinion seal, output shaft seal, and diff cover gasket replaced so no more leaks!