Recomended Stock Wheel Tire Size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
yeah,

so its coming around time to buy new tires... i have the stock wheels a 97yukon gt would come with. i wanted to know what is the recommended tire size to get with the wheels? or what did factory choose?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
factory size on my '96 is 235/75r15...probably something similar on your 97 yukon

Last edited:

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
235? I would have thought he would have truck tires. Something more along the lines of a 265/75/16.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
235/75R15 is a 29" truck tire, its what the stock size is.

might be different on a yukon though. it might be listed on the door jamb sticker

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah trim package likely changes things, mine is just a standard 2wd c1500.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure all Yukon GT's are 4wd, so stock is 265/75R16. You could put some 285/75R16 on no problem though.

Klumpper

Reaction score
My dad's 97 4wd Tahoe came stock with 245-75-16's (30.5ish"). When replaced this spring he went to a 265-75, which is ~32". The truck has 3.42 gears and doesn't tow, so we could justify the 265's. They fill the wheel wells nicer and ride better as they're rated for more weight, but these are standard range tires, not E range like my pickup. I personally would have went to a c-d range 235-85-16 (think talk skinny ~32").

Again as earlier mentioned, check your door jam sticker.

Price, duty, weather, purpose of the truck will all influence what size tires you want to run. I personally won't run 285's on stock 6.5" wide rims as you cannot get the full tread with to touch the pavement unless you're loaded (1.5-2 face cord of firewood at 55lbs). Many people do though, but some shops won't mount them anymore.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If your stock tire size is 265/75-16, and you want to keep your speedo as accurate as possible, then when you go up in width you need to go down in profile percentage. As mentioned above, 285's would be nice, so to keep your speedo correct with them, you should use 285/70-16. If you don't care for your speedo being correct, then go with as high or low of a percentage as you want. Higher the percentage, taller the tire, and vice versa. Just make sure you don't go taller than your drivetrain can handle.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got an oil change and tire rotation done on it. On the way and back I finally got my MAF calibration right after redoing the VE due to the walbro.

Now it doesn't do this weird super-lean spike at idle/off-idle in gear when I get rolling.

Lowered my tire pressures to 45/45. I figured I don't often ha anything THAT heavy, so I might as well save my back and suspension and lower the pressure. Tires were wearing good up front at 45, so I may keep it that way when I have an empty bed.

Whenever I think about it I'll put it on our scale at work and calculate what I really need in them running empty.

Oh, and it's wet as crap lately, and while I like having fun and throwing the back around easily a wee bit more traction in the back would be nice.